Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The State of Denial Address


Whats the measuring cup for? Well, its what I used to measure out my ration of wine last night. Because I can fool myself so easily. For instance, if I pour one glass, drink it, and then keep refilling it but only about a quarter full, its still somehow only one glass.

Last night it was exactly 4oz. Not a (sigh) drop more.

Bugger.

I'm not very disciplined (and no Marscat, this is not the blog about it). I'm not. If I've ever been fast it was only because I like to ride my bike a lot. But I don't like the training so much.

I know some who LOVE the training. LOVE the suffering.

Uhh...no.

Don't get me wrong, I love to work. Just not suffer. German work ethic is all part of my wiring. I will climb a hill all damn day with a 40 pound weight on my back while pulling a sack of potatoes if I have to. Thats not suffering, thats just work.

But ask me to sprint when there's no one sprinting next to me, or go hard on a flat when there's no one to chase, or to climb a hill really hard over and over again just because.....ugh.

And this year I am so excited about the team. We have a great mix of exuberant untapped youth and experienced, smart strength. The vibe is one of maturity, but with a childlike love of the sport. And I want very much to race with them.

And I want very much to race with Laura again. I don't think we've had the time to train and race together since we started the team. Which is of course ironic considering why we started the team.

And after seeing how fast they all are and how much Laura is training (don't let her fool you, girl knows how to train!), I also know I have some work (sigh...and some suffering) to do.

So I'm going to order me up a heart rate monitor (click here if you have an opinion on a good one). And I'm going to go fast until the monitor explodes, and I'm going to sprint as if Kyle is coming up on my left, and I'm going to pretend my honey is at the top of each hill waiting to smooch me.

And then I get to play.

14 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, January 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and i can't stand when i get work outs that say "hard effort"...i want specified HR's otherwise i'm going to say, "ah, that was hard nuff" and head on home for me glass of wine...

and i think a standard pour is 6oz so drink up.

 
At 12:16 PM, January 24, 2007, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

but i like the cookie ...

 
At 3:39 PM, January 24, 2007, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

Haa...
You found the secret! When you live in your head, like I do most of the time, training can be fun. I pretend alot when I'm trying to push the limits. Waiting for a smooch at the end of an interval is as good as any prize.

I have to cut down on the dark Droste chocolates...I ate 6 last night. I am an expert at eating what I expend in calories, therefore I'll never get back to my lean mean rolling machine self.

Lilly can't have dat.

 
At 4:15 PM, January 24, 2007, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

who's Kyle?

 
At 4:51 PM, January 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

4 oz each night?

can you save up and have it all on one night?

can i post on the bella switch board if i'm not a bella?

or i'll just say it here. i got a "garmin Forerunner 305 with heart rate" a few weeks ago.

wireless with cadence and speed and average and gps too. it's still in the box, but i've used morgan's before. it's neat because you can use it on any bike or on a run or a hike or whatever.

did i say it's wireless.

 
At 5:58 PM, January 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the germans make a good one: SRM- that would be in my wish list if I had some money to burn...

I hate training but I love to race-the other one loves to train but racing is a bit more of a chore until now...

Lily Bella-we want you at Kern!

 
At 6:00 PM, January 24, 2007, Blogger nicknameless said...

Kyle is a silly TWW boy who is gonna get whupped for baaad behavior....but he's cute and he gave me a long pull home so we cut him a little slack

I agree with marscat 4oz does not a full cup make...

 
At 7:03 PM, January 24, 2007, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

hmm, that sprint definitely stuck in somebody's craw...

heh heh heh, excellent....

 
At 8:00 PM, January 24, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

Marscat - exactly. I can pretty much justify a workout into anything I want it to be. And I think I will go for that extra 2oz tonight....

oV - you're my cookie

Lilly - Did someone say chocolate?

VG - Kyle is a podium boy

Lauren - anyone can chitty chat on the boards...you just can't see our super duper special secret areas where we talk about the velogirls

I've been eyeing that Garmin, I'm trying to be frugal about this, but I am eyeing that Garmin

ia - I'd like one of those too....jeez that just seems like such a decadent thing to have though for someone like me who just wants to play.

And yes, she will be at Kern. We'll bribe her with Droste.

Nick and Pab - Boy juice

 
At 8:24 PM, January 24, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

no one even told me we were sprinting

cuz i had soooo much left for that

 
At 8:24 PM, January 24, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

oh, and i measure my cereal in the morning

 
At 9:40 PM, January 24, 2007, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

cool! you talk about the velogirls? that just makes me all warm and ooey all over!

 
At 1:32 PM, January 25, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

I am a sucker for data. I just might have to spring for that garmin....

 
At 7:45 AM, January 26, 2007, Blogger Jen said...

I just purchased a Polar CS100 from The Bike Trip in Santa Cruz (best damn bike shop around) and love it. It mounts right to my stem so I don't run into it on my bars anymore and it doesn't have a lot of unnecessary functions that I will never use. Plus, it's super easy to use and when paired with the ultra plush and soft Wearlink Coded Transmitter Belt you hardly even know it's around your rib cage. You can also order extra stem mounts so moving it from bike to bike is a snap.

Gosh, I am such a bike geek. When did that happen?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>