Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Track Nights


Track Night, originally uploaded by Sabine Dukes.

I feel like its been forever since I blogged.

I mean really blogged. Not just dumping a picture and splashing a few words up to accompany it.

Its like my brain can only do either pictures or words, but not both.

But today I feel like blogging because I actually raced last night. I mean really raced. Where I tried and everything. And I haven't done that in a while.

Us women folk got our own race last night (well a couple of guys and an awesome junior did join us too). I like when we get our own race. Not that I don't like racing with the men and all, but damn if they don't chase any little attack.

And I like to attack.

When I first started racing again this season (after zilcho training and nothing but easy rides for the past 5 months), I had about 3 minutes of fitness. One attack would spend me for the night.

Last night I was able to launch about 7-8 attacks and didn't get spent until about the 7th one. Yay!

Erika and Linda were there again and I love racing with them. In the first race, Erika and I traded attacks. Erika ended up in the one that stuck. So with three up the road, there were only points for one in our chase group. Since I was not pulling, I decided not to sprint for them. Instead, I wanted to try and bridge up without pulling the pack.

I tried to get away a few times, but Ileana and a woman visiting from Ttown kept me on a short leash. Then I noticed that Erika's break caught up to the pack (who were behind us). And I remember the quirky rules of points racing. Of all the things I have done at the track lately, remembering this in the midst of the frenzy of a race is one of the things I'm most proud of!

Now, our chase group was the lead pack and full points were on the line. So I went for them, but goddamn that Ileana has some top end acceleration and I got nipped. But I also noticed how tired she was after the effort.

Then somehow Erika's group became the lead group again, except they were now four since a lapped rider joined them. That meant no points for us. (Is your mind whirring yet?) But my chase mates did not know that, so they sprinted and I rode their wheels. Then I did a most evil thing and attacked after they sprinted.

I tried like crazy to catch up to Erika's group, but it just did not happen. I did stay away for the remainder of the race, but it didn't earn me any points so I have no idea why I tried except that it felt kinda good.

Between races, Erika said "let's do some team tactics this time"

Uh...I thought that was what we were doing. But she said she wanted to do something different. What she really wanted was to not be in the lead break. And I got to find out why in the second race. That shit is hard.

On the second lap of the next race, I took a little pull up front. I was just pulling along all innocent like, when I looked behind me and saw I had a gap. I was confused, but decided to just take it and I took off.

After a lap, I looked back and I had an even bigger gap. Well cool, and well, crap. Cool because thats racing and crap because thats hard. Larry and Holloway's mom were telling me to keep going for it because bell lap was coming up. And, I had never ever won any bell lap in a points race yet. So I went for it and got my first 5 points. Yay for me.

Then Larry told me to keep going. So I did. Which was pretty much a silly thing as that put my laps alone out there at about 13 if you count the race prior.

Fortunately, Ali and Beth bridged up to me at some point. And I remember seeing Erika and Ileana there but I have no idea what happened to them. Maybe they were a mirage.

Unfortunately Ali and Beth had carpool bonding going on. The next few laps were spent getting worked over by the both of them. It was too much fun. Beth was doing tactical shit. I was so tired, but I had to laugh. And I was sort of flattered to because if you have to do tactical shit to me, then that means I am part of the race.

Kind of like how I liked it when the guys at hockey would check me.

So, Beth held me up while Ali attacked for a sprint lap. And then the two of us sprinted for the 2nd place points. I was totally wiped out before the sprint, but in all the times we have raced together, I have never been in a position to actually sprint against Beth, so I just had to go for it.

I think she was just teasing me though, because she did the most evil thing you can do in a points race, and attacked me after that sprint. Karma, on the track, is very quick.

Her and Ali rode off and lapped the field. Which of course made me leader on the road. I, thought that maybe the last sprint would be a brownie prime and I figured it was worth the 15 points to win some brownies. So I rode it in and scooped up my second ever points race lap win. But alas, no brownies!

Crap, I'm late for Wednesday night track....gotta run...

16 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, May 07, 2008, Blogger beth bikes! said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:27 PM, May 07, 2008, Blogger beth bikes! said...

haha. i decided to do tactical shit, when i had already had enough points to win and figured i'd play around for the remainder. ali said i had to or else she'd make me ride my bike home with no brakes.

 
At 7:08 PM, May 07, 2008, Blogger Margin Walker said...

I got to find out why in the second race. That shit is hard.

lol.

You were going for it last night. I was yelling all kinds of bad advice at you during that second race.

 
At 7:47 PM, May 07, 2008, Blogger ~ lauren said...

yay! a good fun blog post and a good fun race report!

fun!

 
At 9:04 PM, May 07, 2008, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

you are hard core!

we are resting tonight and unfortuantely in dire need of rest Friday too. Wanna do Berkeley Hills with us???? good prep for Woody.

you had some nice top end last night, and what is your secret in to grow 5 min of fitness to 7 in just one week?

 
At 9:28 PM, May 07, 2008, Blogger marscat said...

Erika said "let's do some team tactics this time"

it came out all wrong, but glad you read my mind...i was mighty wiped.

you one crazy attacking lady.

 
At 7:33 AM, May 08, 2008, Blogger chatterbox said...

man, I'm bummed we missed out on the action! But, it was fun catching up with y'all.

 
At 7:51 AM, May 08, 2008, Blogger tash said...

I can't wait to come race again w/ the Bellas at the track! Had to take a little rest after 24...then Kern...then I'm back. Love the race report - Tash

 
At 9:25 AM, May 08, 2008, Blogger marscat said...

hey, thought you didn't like that miss 'n out....good job last night.

 
At 11:30 AM, May 08, 2008, Blogger Velo Bella said...

Good job?

I totally skipped on racing the miss and out last night.

 
At 11:41 AM, May 08, 2008, Blogger beth bikes! said...

don't like the miss 'n out? c'mon! it is the only race ever where you don't have to suck wind all alone, and instead get to eat cookies, when you get dropped.

as courtney gertler told me:
EVERYONE'S A WINNER IN THE MISS 'N OUT!

 
At 12:01 PM, May 08, 2008, Blogger marscat said...

oop that was for....April 30, 2008.

well hell belated congrats...

 
At 12:19 PM, May 08, 2008, Blogger Velo Bella said...

Ah, that one. Yeah, I only did good on that one because I just sort of took off. But then I got tired.

 
At 4:26 PM, May 08, 2008, Blogger Allison Krasnow said...

brownie primes...mmmmm
i'm boxing beth in for the next one so ya'll can get em.

 
At 8:36 PM, May 08, 2008, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

yeah alicat, right on....
i got my 89...maybe, i can get some prines now...

 
At 10:58 AM, May 09, 2008, Blogger beth bikes! said...

89?! wonder woman!

i rock out at 92.

i mean 82.

who are we kidding. my quads are big, but they are weak. shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>