Friday, April 04, 2008

yay, Friday, yay~


As the world rushes by, originally uploaded by Sabine Dukes.


For half of the day today, I totally thought it was Thursday. And then, when I realized it was actually Friday, it was like finding $20 in my pocket that I didn't know I had.

Yay again.

Ann and I have started a Thursday night ride. We started it, like 3 weeks ago. Ann has stood me up each time. Thats okay though, because I am brave.

Except for sometimes.

And I need to add another animal that I am scared of to my list.

4. Crazy mating Tom Turkeys

I went out to Santa Theresa last night for a quick romp around the rocks. (alone...cough cough Ann in case you are listening) It was another wonderful spring evening with the poppies a bloomin and birdies a twitterin

and the turkeys a gobblin.

The turkeys were in rare form. The males were all Thanksgivinged out. You know, that full plumage like when you used to draw them at school by tracing your hand.

They were like that. Strutting all over the place. And they were rowdy. Kind of spooky rowdy. And, anyone who has watched "The Birds" or heard Laura tell her tale of how she was almost pecked to death by wild turkeys, knows to take that seriously.

So when a badass wild turkey crossed my path (unlike the last time when I was sixteen and woke up in my car at the edge of a cliff - wish I was making that up and maybe I'll tell you the story one day) I took notice.



Unlike the piggy encounter, I had my wits about me and took a picture. Except my cameraphone isn't so good and you couldn't really see the big mean Tom in the corner. So I photoshopped it just a little tiny bit.

This Tom was serious about protecting his hens. So, I let them have the right of way. And I am quite certain it was not my lonely imagination, but I think he gave me the stinkeye, even after they strutted up the hill.

Maybe I will start posting my Thursday night rides to the board from now on.

8 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, April 04, 2008, Blogger X Bunny said...

the turkeys have been unusually gobbly up here, too...

 
At 5:31 PM, April 04, 2008, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

I got butted by a turkey once...oops, not a turkey a ostrich named turquoise...he definitely gave me the stinkeye...out the side of his face...

marscat has always wanted to do some night riding...

 
At 9:43 PM, April 04, 2008, Blogger marscat said...

i saw a thanksgiving out turkey the other night too! and his gf right in the middle of the road.

 
At 10:06 PM, April 04, 2008, Blogger teamwelliver said...

that turkey is absurd.

i'd be down for some thursday night rides. just need a light.

 
At 10:30 PM, April 04, 2008, Blogger ~ lauren said...

you're riding in the dark by yourself?

you're brave! yikes!

we have the turkeys here too. weird to see them in oakland.

 
At 6:34 AM, April 05, 2008, Blogger Steve Anderson said...

Those turkeys are all over Fort Ord too!

 
At 7:18 AM, April 05, 2008, Blogger Velo Bella said...

haha, wish I'd seen that pic before, cuz I'd have used that instead!

except your turkeys are all military'd out with the grenades and stuff. My turkey is more ninja because he has a sai

i really wanted to photoshop him with an electric knife cuz that would have been funnier, but I couldn;t find a good one in the 20 seconds I spent looking

 
At 2:50 PM, April 11, 2008, Blogger cerebral scribbles said...

Boo, Ann
Yay, Friday!

Just kidding Ann...please don't beat me up! Please??

We've got gobblers in our back yard that the dog is afraid of! It just makes me hungry for stuffing and pumpkin pie when i see 'em.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>