Sunday, March 09, 2008

Waiting Room


Morning Stretch, originally uploaded by Sabine Dukes.


I took this photo while I was waiting for my mom to come out of a small operation.

Yeah, I snuck out of the hospital waiting room.

Like she would know.

Actually, I practically fled from the room as soon as they wheeled her into the pre-op. And I hopped on my bike and headed for Carmel.

And I rode around in the sunshine and walked on the beach in my bike shoes. And I took pictures of waves and surfers and golden retrievers. And I made cockamamie daydreaming plans of how to retire at age 50.

And five minutes past the last minute I should have left, I hurried back to the hospital.

I am a total believer that every moment of life must be savored. Even if it means leaving the waiting room.

Today I learned of yet another tragedy in our cycling community. Each one seems to hit me harder than the last. I can't imagine how those close to the victims feel. My thoughts go out to the friends and family involved.

12 Comments:

At 10:37 PM, March 09, 2008, Blogger Denise said...

Outstanding photo.

What is the tragedy that you are referring to?

 
At 6:56 AM, March 10, 2008, Blogger marscat said...

hope the surgery went well.

i would like to run into that photo.

 
At 7:13 AM, March 10, 2008, Blogger X Bunny said...

read here denise

 
At 7:14 AM, March 10, 2008, Blogger X Bunny said...

and i was very glad to hear how well your mom and her dance partner are doing

 
At 7:30 AM, March 10, 2008, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

I was moaning and groaning about how bad our TTT went yesterday, but I was telling myself to be happy that I was out riding and racing with friends.

Today, I feel the not so gentle reminder of how short life can be.

Pretty pic...I'll run into it with marscat.

 
At 5:26 PM, March 10, 2008, Blogger jen said...

Why do I think maybe that water isn't quite as splishy splashy refreshing as it appears? But how lovely to imagine that it might be.

 
At 5:58 PM, March 10, 2008, Blogger Velo Bella said...

exactly Jen. I want to watch when Marscat runs into it!

 
At 6:20 PM, March 10, 2008, Blogger jen said...

Ha! Then, runs right out!

This is extremely fresh in my mind, b/c I froze my ass off yesterday in a 4 mmm suit. The weather feels so springlike, but the water definitely doesn't. It was warm on the bikey today though :-)

 
At 6:25 PM, March 10, 2008, Blogger marscat said...

i want to "run" not "swim"...

 
At 1:42 PM, March 11, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neat photo. It reminds me of Jodi Foster's last scene in Contact. Its also a bit errie. Like the water contains life, but no life is seen in the photo. Surreal too. But what the hell do I know anyway?

 
At 2:54 PM, March 11, 2008, Blogger jen said...

LOL, but I had this image of Marscat charging into the surf. It sounded so fun, until I remembered the water temp. Reality, ruining our daydreams like that.

 
At 10:18 PM, March 11, 2008, Blogger yellowbug said...

wow your photos are unreal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>