Monday, February 18, 2008

Livin la Vida


Crossing, originally uploaded by Sabine Dukes.


Ohmigosh what a fabulous weekend.

And now I face a foggy Monday at work, while the rest of the world (the world I know anyway) plays at the Tour of CA on El Presidente day.

But, after my dreamy weekend, I can hardly complain.

And its funny, when I think back on the fun I had this weekend, very little of it had to do with racing. I didn't even race at all, and felt only a teeny tiny twinge of regret over that.

I have really tried to be motivated to race this season, but as of yet, I have not quite struck it. I have not yet been able to give up the things you gotta give up to do it. Things like sleep, that second glass of wine, Kobe burgers, and simply not riding when I don't much feel like it. Or, not riding hard.

I dunno. Maybe I will find the motivation later. But for now, I am enjoying la vida.

~~~


Some more pics of the beautiful race down in Los Olivos are here

The promotor, Mike Hecker, of that race is doing something interesting. Ever go driving down the highway, and look off into all that Cattle ranchland thats here in California, and see a little dirt road and wish you could go ride it?



I do that all the time. Well, Mike must have done that too. He's gotten in touch with the owners of the Chamberlin Cattle Ranch and they've allowed a network of trails to be built on that land. Hecker's group plans on holding about 8 races there this year, including a Norba National as well as downhill and dual slalom races.

Sometime this summer, the ranch will be open for riding outside of races for like a $5 fee or something.

Its a lot of work forming a partnership like this. And you have to ride alongside cowpatties and the occasionally ornery bull, but if this past weekend was any indication, the work is well worth it.



While not technical, the singletrack was stunning. There was one trail, in particular, that was along the top of the ridge, offering fabulous views of Foxen on one side, and Vaca Station on the other. I did not get a picture of this piece, because I was too busy enjoying it in person. (its hard to be both photographer and do-er).

And when in Los Olivos, you just HAVE to visit American Flatbread in Los Alamos. YUM!

7 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, February 18, 2008, Blogger chatterbox said...

Sweet! I might have to check out one of those races - sounds right up my alley - long, non-technical and in the beautiful ranch lands. Plus, I can overnight south of SLO with the parentals. Dad is always up for a recovery meal at Firestone.

 
At 2:59 PM, February 18, 2008, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

la vida loca...

sounds someone had a kobe burger...we are jealous...

 
At 4:47 PM, February 18, 2008, Blogger jen said...

I'm looking forward to hitting up some of those summer races. I like summer much better than February.

I think John and Jen need a "training" camp in Los Alamos. Mmm, flatbread and red wine. Yumsters.

 
At 7:58 PM, February 18, 2008, Blogger marscat said...

i like the little cow on the horizon...

 
At 9:39 PM, February 18, 2008, Blogger X Bunny said...

we missed you

but as i came pretty close to not doing any races this weekend, i totally understand how you feel

and am glad you had a great weekend!!

(sorry, brain not working well enough for anything witty comment-wise.)

 
At 10:21 PM, February 18, 2008, Blogger Velo Bella said...

Yes Kobe and Yes American Flatbread!!

And the bull is one of my favorite pics of the weekend. I photoshopped him a little bit over here

 
At 7:17 AM, February 19, 2008, Blogger X Bunny said...

it musta been gorgeous there because even fresno was looking sorta green and nice this time of year

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>