Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Live from the Poop Trails


Camphone 26, originally uploaded by Sabine Dukes.


I have to maximize my lunch time riding time, which means, I only have time for a euro shower before returning to work.

So, that means, I could very well have little driplets of cow poop still stuck to me somewhere as I type this.

There is this one section of trail, that as long as no one is coming in the other direction, I like to hit at super fast speeds. As so, I did that today, but then found myself headed straight for a big ol pileopoop. Kerplush.

At least I am not afraid of the cows at Harvey Bear anymore. Even the ones who try to be all badass and stand in front of me and try to punk me and stuff. Its all bluff. I just give them a hearty "heeya!" and they scamper. Thats right, I made those cows my bitch. (says the lady who shops for orthopedic shoes)

But I am afraid of some things at Harvey Bear. Three things actually:

1. Mountain lions (for obvious reasons)
2. Ticks (ewwwwwwww!)
3. Mama pigs

Kenny and I were riding down one of the Harvey Bear trails last Friday. We had just finished showing those cows who was boss, when we spotted a little calf about to cross the trail. It was the ugliest calf I had ever seen. And, it didn't scamper to our Heeyahs. Instead, it squared its shoulders to us and stood its ground.

Thats when I realized, it wasn't an ugly calf, but an ugly wild pig. I didn't take a picture, but I found one on the internet that looks EXACTLY like the pig we saw.



And when I saw how this pig was holding her ground against us, I knew what that meant. I told Kenny, "we better back up...slowly and calmly". I think we took two small calm steps back, and the pig took one step towards us, and then we ran back up the hill. Kenny might have even screamed. Can't remember.

Once we backed up, the pig started to cross the trail, and sure enough, right behind her were 5 or 6 wee little ugly pigs. They were sooo uglycute. Their little pig tails stuck straight out behind them and their little pig hair was all wiry and piggly.

We waited a good and long time before we finished our ride down the trail...just in case. But at least we lived to tell the tale.

~~

So, sort of a side story. In my search for a pic of a "wild boar" I had to sift through endless pictures of guys posing with dead boars, with the mouth all open so you can see the tusks. I mean, endless pictures of this. Why do men like to pose with dead animals like that? Just wonderin.

~~

I think my Sidi mtb shoes are the culprit by the way....this is very sad.

8 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, April 01, 2008, Blogger Marian said...

when we came back from camping/ riding in Santa Cruz my dog was COVERED in ticks! I hate ticks!

 
At 8:42 PM, April 01, 2008, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

I am a boar and pigs are usually so cute, but that one is so so ugly and scary looking. I would have liked to see picks of the wee ugly pigs. We missed you...and the beers.

 
At 10:37 PM, April 01, 2008, Blogger veloandvino said...

gawd damn, i like reading your blog. the pics are something too and I swear its not the bottle of rose tawkin. hiccup.
gulp.

 
At 7:28 AM, April 02, 2008, Blogger marscat said...

please take pictures next time of the uglycutes...

and i have wondered the same thing about men and dead fish...

 
At 10:13 AM, April 02, 2008, Blogger Velo Bella said...

Kenny and I both fancy oursleves as photogs...yet the last thing either one of us thought was to take a picture.

not that we were scared or anything

 
At 2:09 PM, April 02, 2008, Blogger ~ lauren said...

those wild pigs sure scare me.

i think they're famous for charging or boaring into you or something.

at least the ones in marin are.

 
At 10:49 PM, April 02, 2008, Blogger ginmtb said...

Don't be messin' with the wild pigs. Thems there tough sums of beotches. Plus they've got really bad teeth.

Hey, so speaking of wild pigs, you partying with us this weekend at Boggs? I mean, you did pay for it.

Sorry, you said you pretty much don't do e-mail anymore so I figured this was the only way to reach you.

Nice photos too!

 
At 10:12 AM, April 04, 2008, Blogger Denise said...

As always, you have awesome pics. How did you get that effect from a camera phone?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>