Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Schooled


Sunset Monday, originally uploaded by Sabine Dukes.


After my awesome night of racing at the Larry Nolan Tuesday Night World points championships, I headed back for more on Wednesday.

The night started off with chariot races. I don't like these chariot races because there are neither chariots nor half nekkid romans involved. Its just a one lap sprint. Go, bell, finish, thanks for coming.

And thats pretty much how my race went. Even though I pulled and pushed and grunted, by the time I got on top of my gear, all the other chariots were long gone.

And the rest of the night, I just could not get on top of that damn gear. So I told Michael that I probably need something smaller than my 88 for Wednesday nights.

Thats when he told me I did not have an 88, but a 92. A 92.6 to be more exact. Thats a Jaques-Maynesian gear. All this time I have been pushing around a humongo gear.

So, on Friday, I decided to try Michael's gear, an 86. It was the first of the Friday night races and I wasn't expecting much of my racing efforts, but my friends were there and the music (that I worked so hard on thankyouverymuch) was playing and Michael was announcing and well, I wanted to at least give a good show.

I thought with my new fancy lower gear I could do that.

But then, in my race, I pedaled and pedaled and didn't go anywhere. It was a wierd feeling. Like in one of those chase dreams where you run, but you don't really run. It felt like that. And slowly the pack just drifted away from me and left me in their wake, a spinning fool.

So, I suppose I should keep that small gear on and practice my spin and get my foot speed up. But I say that spinning is for people without butts. I have a butt and I have quads bigger than Beth's..so what the hell do I need to spin for?

10 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, May 13, 2008, Blogger beth bikes! said...

92.6? that is cruel-- almost as bad as when he forgot to glue on your tire at that cross race!

 
At 5:06 PM, May 13, 2008, Blogger Velo Bella said...

I LOVE my 92.6

I want it back

 
At 5:09 PM, May 13, 2008, Blogger beth bikes! said...

your quads are going to get HUGE. quick measure now so you compare after a few weeks!

my quads are getting smaller cause i am spinning like a hamster in that 82. booooooooooo

 
At 5:13 PM, May 13, 2008, Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

Spinny spinny is for folks like me with 55cm .... oops, new measurement, 51.5cm quads.

 
At 7:11 PM, May 13, 2008, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

an 88 with fast wheels is like an 82 or something, try an 88 with normal, not fast zippy wheels, and it will feel different...either way, you look good on the 92

 
At 9:50 PM, May 13, 2008, Blogger GoldiJM said...

The music WAS great! Do you have a Rev Horton Heat cd? I thought I heard some of that mixed in. MMM.

 
At 10:05 PM, May 13, 2008, Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

You looked good tonight with the 88. That was fun dueling it out with you! I checked; the change I made when Ms. Chatterbox was riding that bike left me with an 82.7. Hamster city! Think I will change to an 88 or so before my next appearance at Hellyer on a Tuesday night.

 
At 7:13 AM, May 14, 2008, Blogger X Bunny said...

i like my 88
(if that's what it really is....)

wanna try it with ippoc's zippy wheels though

 
At 8:08 AM, May 14, 2008, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

those zippies are OV's.

I have an 82.9 but just swapped chain rings so now I have an 88 but would prefer an 86 or 87. Anyone have a 45 raod chain ring with a shimano bolt pattern just sitting around?

 
At 8:34 AM, May 14, 2008, Blogger marscat said...

track geek talk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>