Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Tube tops


I used to think, that if you wanted to kill someone, and not get caught, that a scuba diving accident would be the way to go. There'd be no witnesses and well, accidents happen.

But I think I found another good way. Make them ride tubulars but don't really glue the tubulars on.

Luckily, I didn't die. Well, except for a little piece of my pride that I left up on that sandy hill.

My race strategy for this weekend was simple. Take it easy up the hill, then have a good time coming down the hill. That had been the theme of the weekend and had worked well on our mtb ride the day before. I am not feeling the race vibes at this time, so it seemed a good idea.

For the first two laps this worked like a charm. But on the third trip down the hill, just as I was entering this bumpy little 180 downhill uphill thing, I suddenly splatted on the ground. One minute I was up and the next minute I was in the dirt. I was all dumb from the fall and stuck in my cleats like a turtle, smack dab in the middle of the trail.

People I had just passed on the downhill were negotiating past me, and asking me if I was okay. I felt like the car, that had been pulled over for speeding, that all the other drivers give a tsk tsk'd "serves her right" waggle as they pass.

When I finally unpuzzled myself from the cleat/bike combo and picked myself off the ground, I discovered that my front tire and rolled off the rim. I popped it back onto the rim, and it just floated there, like it was merely decorative.

There was no glue to be seen anywhere.

During my warm up, the rear tubular did the same thing, in almost the same spot, but I didn't go down.

Turns out that neither the rear nor the front had glue. Michael informed me that "oopsie!" he had put the glue tape thingie on backwards.

oopsie?

oopsie?

I'm thinking of inviting him out for a scuba dive trip.

~~~



This race had a tequila shortcut.

There was a shortcut in the course that saved, like 20 seconds, but if you took it, you had to also take a shot of tequila.

genius.

Also be sure to read how they did the starting line thingie.

I totally want to bring a waffle maker to the next cross race too.

~~~


Our summer just keeps on keeping on. Its been in the low 80's here in Morgan Hill the last two days. Not that I am complaining, because I could do summer all year long if given a choice.

Here's the latest reservoir shot. Its all mud in this section and yet, there is still some guy fishing. I have no idea what he's fishing for in the mud. He didn't catch anything while I was there. He just sort of sat there in the mud...waiting. Someone needs to show him the tequila shortcut.

14 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, November 14, 2007, Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

oopsie, indeed. Why glue strips and not good, old-fashioned Tubasti?

Will there be a tequila/mojito/something shortcut at Surf City next year?

 
At 5:46 PM, November 14, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

mudskippers, pollywogs....there's all sorts of good things in mud

but i don't think you catch them fishing

 
At 7:55 PM, November 14, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

better check to make sure the cupboards aren't going up upside-down in the garage.

 
At 9:40 PM, November 14, 2007, Blogger ~ lauren said...

a waffle maker. hmm.

we'll bring syrup and whipped cream and bananas.

where would you plug it in though.

glad you're ok.

 
At 10:46 PM, November 14, 2007, Blogger dblrider said...

I made pancakes at Surf City. They turned out pretty good. For a waffle iron, you can get the kind that go on a propane stove. Or bring a battery pack and 120V adapter. I have all these things, even the waffle maker. Let me know when and where...

 
At 11:06 PM, November 14, 2007, Blogger beth bikes! said...

how about a kissing booth. i'll gladly make out with anyone wanting to make a short cut on the course next year.

 
At 6:22 AM, November 15, 2007, Blogger BELLA BEAR said...

a good scuba diving trip sounds exactly what you two need! Just kidding! Just get muddy and wrestle it out!

 
At 6:52 AM, November 15, 2007, Blogger marscat said...

robyn j. wrote the book on tequila shots during a cross race.

 
At 8:50 AM, November 15, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

and Robyn didn't even need the shortcut

 
At 10:55 AM, November 15, 2007, Blogger Happy Snappy said...

But she definately needed that tequila!

 
At 12:07 PM, November 15, 2007, Blogger jen said...

holy crap, no glue on the sewups?! yikes. back in the day, the officials used to check for that before the bikey race. maybe you need an official tire checker.

beth = so funny

pass the tequila.

 
At 2:45 PM, November 15, 2007, Blogger Ron Castia said...

Clinchers don't need glue, and they don't cost $70 to replace when you run over a thorn.

 
At 7:34 PM, November 15, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

did OV have tequila shots while "gluing" your tires? Glad you didn't get hurt...

 
At 4:36 PM, November 16, 2007, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

all belgian brews.

the rim tape, extreme tufo, is made in Czeck repuublik.

they label the glue strips "rim" and "tire".

they were switched on both of them.



i didn't check after mounting because i have that much faith in the tape.


ah well, it makes her stronger. besides she wouldn't have crashed the tires if she hadn't have been riding them down that rutted, off camber 180 like she was on her dawg.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>