Monday, October 29, 2007

Was there even a race?


I know I am going to get in trouble for doing a thank you thing, because in my haste and addled state, I always leave someone important out, but I gotta do it anyway....so be it.

Thank you to:

Amy Hall - for being registration queen! She is the captain of the reg ship. She also brings over lots of bottles of wine. She stays up all night making a costume and then is too busy to wear it. She makes fondue. She makes me laugh. This sport introduces me to people like her. Cross season = get to spend time with Amy

Dave Charles - stake pounder and sign maker extraordinaire.

Susie Barbor - food booth, and results, AND volunteer coordinator and Miss Mary truck driver. Susie was everywhere with the helping this year. But she learned from the master.

Linda and Erika - Kiddie Kross organizers! They even got Andy Jacques-Maynes to design the kiddie kourse. Of course, they did have to call a couple of mommies for ideas about prizes (sticky eyes!!) and helped with a smile as we pulled them to and fro all over the place.

Soni Poulson - Clinic organizer. We were a little worried that with the USGP happening this weekend, we would not have enough instructors. Soni worked her magic and we had 10 awesome instructors lined up and participants were just beaming from the learnings.

Antonio Diaz - The DJ. If you need a DJ and you are in the Monterey/Santa Cruz/South Bay, let me know and I will put you in touch with him.

Russell the Canuckian - Tireless. Russell is tireless. Again, the wonderful thing about this sport, meeting someone you might not have otherwise ever crossed paths with.

Natasha Perry - sponsor coordinator. I hate sponsorship stuff...just not my gig. I was going to give up on it this year and just hand out empty bags (well probably not, but felt like it) Natasha took over and took care of everything!! I think we had the finest one day goodie bags thanks to her. And she found our EMT within like, 45 minutes!

Tim Watson - Graveyard maker. Tim has the best decorations. And showed up before sunrise to set them all up. Thats after helping all day the day before. Our vibe wouldn't be the same without our now signature graveyard.

Steve Litvin - Expo set up. It gets crazy in the morning, and we need to keep the sponsors happy! Steve used to put on UCI CX races in Jersey, and we are lucky to have him and his great hair helping us out.

Steve Gile - I love Steven. If he weren't my best friends man, I would kidnap him for myself. He does everything and does it with the cutest sweetest smile and then asks what else he can do.

Liz McAfee - for designing and coordinating our awesome tshirts and doing it with two weeks notice! Count Triffen!

Course Marshalls - probably the ickiest job at the race, and especially when you find out last minute that a Pop warner tournament is happening in the middle of the course. The VOS team and Jen and John See came to our rescue!

Jeff Clark - make him tell you stories about the olden days of NorCross!

Our clinic instructors (who volunteer their time for this!):
Rob Evans
Kathleen Bortolussi
Linda Elgart
John Elgart
Sheila Moon
Stella Carey
Carmen D'Aluisio
Chris D'Aluisio
Mark Abele
Andy Jacques-Maynes

All the bellas and friends of bellas and VOS guys who helped set up, tear down, reg, course marshall, cheer, make sandwiches, pound in stakes, collect course tape, buy sandbags, take pictures, judge costumes, pick up cones, and make me laugh. You guys are all what makes this team so damn fun.

Racers - thank you for coming to the party, and thanks for telling us you had fun. Thats the reward right there.

Costume Crossers - 70 racers in costume cross! 70!! That makes me all verklempt. I shit you not, but I used to be the only person who dressed up at Halloween cross races, just ask Keith And Rod. And then I met Laura and make her dress up one year. I lied and told her everyone did it. Imagine her surprise when she found out we were the only two. Life is too short to not dress up in something ridiculous and race a beefed up road bike around schoolyard berms and ditches.

And to Michael for getting it and enhancing it and yet allowing it to be ours (the bellas) while helping a shitload behind the scenes. And for being so damn sexy.


And to all the photogs from whom I stole these pictures:














19 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, October 29, 2007, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

and, of course, to you, Sabine -- the best darn party (or race) putter-on-er there is!!!

 
At 9:44 PM, October 29, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

I second that VG! Thanks Sabine for making Surf City such a fun event to be a part of.

 
At 10:30 PM, October 29, 2007, Blogger marscat said...

i can't imagine organizing such an even without turning into a crazy person...you did such a great job and always had a smile on your face.

truly inspirational.

so glad i got to play a small part in it.

 
At 10:50 PM, October 29, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

its not a smile! its a grimace, remember

that old pic of me and Laura is cracking me up. Laura and I had just met. I wondered if she really would bring a costume to the race. She brought two. I knew then it was true best friend love.

 
At 12:01 AM, October 30, 2007, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

so much fun.

time check, heading home now.

 
At 6:22 AM, October 30, 2007, Blogger ~ lauren said...

yay sabine!

great, great party.

 
At 7:38 AM, October 30, 2007, Blogger Emily said...

Great pics. Loved all the chicken outfits.

You put on one hecka good race.

I know how much time and effort goes into organizing events. You rock!

 
At 9:29 AM, October 30, 2007, Blogger EB said...

Yay for good times! I felt the vibes all the way up here...

 
At 10:44 AM, October 30, 2007, Blogger dr-nitro said...

Great fun, and well run.

 
At 10:50 AM, October 30, 2007, Blogger ~ lauren said...

thank you for the sandwich making booth too!

that was cool.

we brought moldy bread. but then i looked up and right across from us was a sandwich making booth!

 
At 2:10 PM, October 30, 2007, Blogger tash said...

Sabine you are the best!!! Somehow you made it all look so effortless. And you looked darned official w/ that walkie-talkie thing on (I think it was so you could tell Michael what to do:) It was one kick-ass event - very cool to see it all come together.

 
At 2:53 PM, October 30, 2007, Blogger jen said...

course marshalling = not so icky at all

the football people were so funny.

good times for all :-)

 
At 4:27 PM, October 30, 2007, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

hey, Sabine! I hope the mammo went smoothly today.

 
At 5:38 PM, October 30, 2007, Blogger chatterbox said...

Hey, I already said thanks on your sweetie's blog, but just wanted to say it again. That was a really fun event. You and all the Bellas and Fellas and helpers did a great job!

 
At 5:44 PM, October 30, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

Mammo went fine! yay!

They reshot both boobies but only in specific areas. So that meant they only smooshed a portion of the breast and they smooshed it really hard. That really hurt. My nippled was totally flattened! I even whimpered when they did the left one.

But they came back 10 minutes later (a very long 10 minutes) and told me everything was fine. I didn't need the ultrasound or needle or other things all sorts of folks who have been through the call back told me about. So that was good.

I got the pasties again! I left them on so I could show Michael.

 
At 5:47 PM, October 30, 2007, Blogger jen said...

"I left them on so I could show Michael."

Bahahaha!

Glad all is well!

 
At 7:00 PM, October 30, 2007, Blogger russellp said...

Me? Tireless? Ha!

It's been a pleasure helping out every time. And ippoc's vids of you playing the winged cheerleader from hell are just priceless.

 
At 7:45 PM, October 30, 2007, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

those are great pics, that costume race is gonna have to move up as the premier event. I am so sorry I missed it, but it sounds like my Stevo worked enough for the both of us, both days. He is down for the count now...

That picture is funny, I stole that wig at a tequila party the weekend before under my skirt...
You know how I knew you would make a good friend when I saw the Halloween bins in your garage and your whip was longer and better than mine...NICE!

Good luck on the interviews, and contests at work. You should invite me, I can pretend to be part of the staff. I would love to boss around adults and make them create crazy Halloweenie stuff. The challenge just isn't there anymore for me in first grade. Those lil buggers will do almost anything.

 
At 8:48 PM, October 30, 2007, Blogger Allison Krasnow said...

This is truly amazing. PLEASE don't let me miss it for any reason next year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>