Wednesday, February 21, 2007

You can be Aldag


Michael and I watched Hell on Wheels the other night.

It was really good. Especially for a visual person like me. It was chock full of visual delights ranging from vintage race footage to behind the scenes oddness to panoramic vistas.

But the part that stood out the best, was the subdued friendship between Rolf Aldag and Eric Zabel. Here were two guys who not only genuinely enjoyed racing, but even more so, enjoyed racing together. A couple of old racing dogs, tied by love of the game and of each other's friendship.

~~~

I worked my ass off at Cantua. And I got the data to prove it. I spent the entire second lap in zone 8. I was a salty pot of drool after the race.


And I loved every minute of it.

I have not had that much fun in a race since I don't know how long.

Maybe ever.

Much of the fun can be attibuted to having so many teammates at the race working together, selflessly. Putting into play the many things we practiced. And not settling for second. Going for the win and executing it perfectly. All with smiles.

Thats a big part of it anyway.

But the heart of it is that I got to race with Laura again. And it was just like old times. Except better because now we're older and wiser and we brought flaired out friends.

You ever race with someone...that you know so well, that you can speak sentences to each other with just a look? Thats how it was for us. I don't think we said more than a few words to each other during the race, but we knew exactly what the other was thinking, how the other felt, and what and how we were gonna do what we did.

And then we did it.



It hardly gets better than that.

12 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, February 21, 2007, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

It DOESN'T get any better than that!

That is so cool.

I am so happy for you both, you and miss Lilly.

And it is how I feel about racing with your honey. We still speak in sentences sometimes though. Probably should work on that, since I never seem to hear exactly what he says...

 
At 10:00 PM, February 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto

You ladies are pure class and lots of fun to watch race all flaired out and smilin.

Good times.

Bosch and I have that look thing down after 15 years but I usually dont like what he's saying when he looks at me :)

I'm just teasing, kinda......no no I'm teasing.

MS

 
At 10:33 PM, February 21, 2007, Blogger Dr. Xeno said...

Way cool! Report, result, attitdue - and the DATA, wow! Is that your Garmin? Edge 305, or what?

 
At 7:03 AM, February 22, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

watch out everyone, another pshopper has arrived...

 
At 7:05 AM, February 22, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

yeah, pab and i can ride as one sometimes

when we're on the tandem

 
At 8:02 AM, February 22, 2007, Blogger marscat said...

love that pic of you and lilly.

 
At 9:05 AM, February 22, 2007, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

so sexy ...

 
At 9:17 AM, February 22, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

you have a different copy of Hell On Wheels than I have...I want your copy...

 
At 9:47 AM, February 22, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

not a pshopper, a skibbyshopper.

I can only lasso and cut and paste.

 
At 10:16 AM, February 22, 2007, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

that is a funny picture of you and lilly--she looks like she swallowed a grasshopper or something....

the team picture at Cantua is perfect. I can totally see the feelings of satisfaction...

 
At 10:57 AM, February 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha, i want that copy too!

that's cute

 
At 3:54 PM, February 22, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>