Thursday, February 01, 2007

Getting my geek on

I love maps, and orienteering, and stuff like Google Earth thrills me to no end. In fact, its taken me until this afternoon to write this quick little bloggie because I spent my time this morning playing with Google earth when all I really meant to do was grab a quick screenshot for this post. (Oh and Lauren, I found some of Morgan's routes in Motion Based. me = geek)

And you should see what I do to the poor maps in the car. Heather would be proud.

So when I went looking for a simple basic heart rate monitor, I somehow ended up with one of these instead: It arrived last night and I came right home and barely kissed Michael hello before tearing it open and pushing all the little buttons. Weeeeee! And I think it even has a heart rate monitor thingie somewhere on it too.

I really really really wanted to play with it on my lunch ride today. But Michael is doing a semi epic SC Mountains road ride today and so I let him use it instead. I hope he remembered to push the "start" button.

15 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, February 01, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

that garmin looks neato
didn't you have a HAC4 before...

 
At 3:23 PM, February 01, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

before the cateye I had the HAC4

The problem with the HAC4 is that it was limited in what info you could display. I never see what I want to see at the same time (can't scroll during intervals)Like why was Temp one of the main window functions?

And the download/software stuff was limited too.

But mostly the wires were ugly.

 
At 3:29 PM, February 01, 2007, Blogger Jr. Curmudgeon said...

Is that a little West Ridge action I see?

 
At 3:33 PM, February 01, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

and probably some buddha and bacon too

 
At 3:44 PM, February 01, 2007, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

it's sooo fun.

every hour, on the hour ... Jen Jen asks, "so, how's our climb-o-meter doin?"

i think she's hot on your geek trail, hon.

 
At 3:44 PM, February 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's so cool! I love data...

mo data mo betta!

 
At 4:02 PM, February 01, 2007, Blogger jen said...

Will it pedal the bike for me?

 
At 6:02 PM, February 01, 2007, Blogger Chico Cyclist said...

That looks like too much fun.....gotta get one!

 
At 8:39 PM, February 01, 2007, Blogger Susie said...

I got my Garmin last spring and LOVE it. You should save Olaf's track from today as a route and look at the profile. I do this all the time. If you have any questions, holler.

 
At 8:43 PM, February 01, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

I just spent an hour on Google earth with Michael's route.

He's next to me practically naked and instead I'm on the damn computer looking at the hills and the percents and the elevation.

I need help.

The route is here by the way

 
At 9:32 PM, February 01, 2007, Blogger ~ lauren said...

neato!

and the google earth stuff is fun. i'm not even a gadget geek and i like it.

i like how you can just hand it over to your next bike or your friend or your lover and just use it.

and shyte! that's michael's "lunch ride" from today?

 
At 9:41 PM, February 01, 2007, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

no, i played hooky from work this morning to give companty to jen jen's training ride.

she's putting in the big base. good, clean, in-control tempo climbing ... all morning long.

 
At 6:24 AM, February 02, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

I quote Keanu Reeves

"Whoa!"

 
At 10:05 AM, February 02, 2007, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

if that thing is as big as it looks...

you are so getting teased for having a giant dashboard on your bike....

and, if you ever show up to a crit with it....

 
At 10:39 AM, February 02, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

shush, i'm getting one of these for the honey once I'm settled at my new job...can't wait!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>