Thursday, September 21, 2006

Better red than dead


Alrighty then. I am going forward with the red kitchen.

And since I am not starting another blog (there are about 15 on my dashboard right now for crying out loud) you will just have to put up with reading about remodeling stuff here if I feel like babbling about it.

But today I don't feel like babbling about it. I'll just post a pic of my current plan and leave it at that for now.

I do feel like babbling about frustration.

Last night's ride was full frustration. I couldn't do anything right. I was wussy, out of balance, not in the mood (we're talking cycling here folks, just to be clear and all). Each time I bobbled or klutzed out, the frustration grew. And of course, when that happens its a vicious cycle and things just get worse.

Mine culminated in me slipping on a groove and doing a slow motion spillover into a thorny blackberry bush. It was one of those spills that leaves you all tangled and stuck, all retarded and helpless. I was flopped over in the bushes, where every movement led to a new thorn in me, with my bike on top and my feet still clipped in.

And I was stuck there...both physically and mentally.

I knew I wasn't hurt bad, but I wanted to cry. Not for the thorns, or the lack of grace, or the bruised booty, or even the fear that I was disappointing him. It was for all of the things that had been bottled up and shelved aside. Whatever those things are. Some I can name and some I can't. They are usually small and insignificant, but when piled on they can crush. And sometimes, when riding, you are so stripped down in essence, that those things can't hide. And they come out.

And fall into the blackberry bushes.

Luckily I have a partner with supreme patience and genuine love. He gave me just the right amount of support and space (such a fine balance between those two) and a kick in the ass. And luckily too that riding cross bikes is so godamn fun. By the end of the ride, the demons had fluttered away, the smile was on, and I was riding like a champ. I was still klutzing out, I'm sure, because I always do...but I felt like a champ anyway.


Bike riding and red kitchens. Keeping me sane.

14 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, September 21, 2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

nice looking kitchen.

even better story.

 
At 2:35 PM, September 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are a champ...

it's one of those days...

you will get through it with flying red color!

 
At 2:35 PM, September 21, 2006, Blogger ginmtb said...

I remember falling into a blackberry bush way back when I was riding a yellow Huffy. Trying to keep up with the better riders of my group. Slowmo tip over also. I remember to this day crying as two friends held my bicycle upright (one on each side of my moto bars, I was sitting up dealing with the pain) as we rode home.

Oh and don't forget to put a lazy Susan in that blind corner unit/peninsula.

 
At 2:49 PM, September 21, 2006, Blogger marscat said...

thank you!

so i'm not the only one!!

 
At 2:49 PM, September 21, 2006, Blogger marscat said...

frustrated, that is.

did you kick the bike and call it names?

I did.

 
At 3:17 PM, September 21, 2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

so, this partner of yours...

he's good at finding that balance you speak of, eh?

think he'd share some pointers?

 
At 4:56 PM, September 21, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

thanks for sharing

i wish i could say that that has happened to me once, but it has really happened so many more times than that

here's to those loving partners
who seem to know what we need more than we do sometimes

 
At 5:20 PM, September 21, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

The lazy Susan comes with it. Such is the joy of Ikea.

I am going to mimic that $80,000 kitchen with $15,000. Which is easy to do when you dont need a fridge or oven.

 
At 7:34 PM, September 21, 2006, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

marscat would have started eating the blackberries...when you finish your kitchen, will you come over to our house please?

p.s. I cried climbing up Woody one year...not a good idea...but like you said...all my frustration decided to come out then...

 
At 9:57 AM, September 22, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

warm bottoms.

 
At 11:56 AM, September 22, 2006, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

As frustrating as those days are, they're the days that remind us we're human. That's the difference between live sport and computer games (and you don't get dirty at the computer). We're human and the mind is such a significant player in every game we play.

Glad you were able to get it out and turn it around.

 
At 12:31 PM, September 22, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

this post inspired me to ride yesterday inbetween works.

thank you and hope you're feeling better.

 
At 12:41 PM, September 22, 2006, Blogger Brent said...

that looks like the IKEA kitchen design program.
Fun Fun Fun.

 
At 9:44 PM, September 28, 2006, Blogger diskzero said...

Hooray for new kitchens. We are just wrappping up our. Prepare for interesting times during the remodel. It will be worth it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>