Monday, September 18, 2006

Too Many Shiny Lights


I really have been trying to blog

But I keep getting distracted.

On Friday I took the day off of work so that I could visit with my Uncle Reinhold. He is here visiting from Munich. My mom's side of the family is wacky. As wacky as my mom is, she's the least wackiest of her siblings. Her brother, Reinhold, is close to being one of the wackiest.

Last time he was here I took him for a walk around Pacific Grove. I turned my head for a moment, and he was no where to be seen. "Reinhold?.....Reinhold?" No answer.

Just as I began to worry, I heard some giggling from up above. I looked up and found my then 65 year old uncle in a tree. He explained that the tree looked like it needed to be climbed, so he climbed it.

kook.

But in a good way.

So I was worried to see him now ten years later. To see what being 74 had done to him. I was worried because I did not want to see the ravages of time. I did not want to see the childlike, sparkly eyed man turned into a slow, hobbling, gray eyed elder. As age sometimes does. I wanted my memory of him to be that impulsive man who climbed trees and giggled.

I needn't have worried.



And on Saturday and Sunday it was the weekend. And it was a particularly luscious and decadent and perfect weekend. No time for scribbles when that happens.

And tonight, I pulled out the computer to ~~~

wait a sec.....Jeni's boyfriend just handed me a piece of Gizdich pie and Marianne's ice cream. I might be a while.....

9 Comments:

At 6:25 AM, September 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so that's where you got your wackiness...

 
At 6:57 AM, September 19, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

glad you had a good visit!

is he dressed up to go horseback riding, weedwhacking, or out to dinner?!

 
At 7:22 AM, September 19, 2006, Blogger marscat said...

he does look a little kooky, but in a good way. i think it's way cool he climbed the tree.

 
At 8:44 AM, September 19, 2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

um, what is he wearing?

 
At 9:01 AM, September 19, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

He is wearing Jeni's chaps.

Yes, I said Jeni's chaps. Do a babble blogger search on rodeo queen and you will know what I am talking about.

She's selling them on Ebay if you are interested.

 
At 9:15 AM, September 19, 2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

oh.

-

um, hey bunny hunny, when i am 74, is it ok if i go around wearing some cute young rodeo queen's black leather chaps? puhleeeeze?

-

kookiness rocks.

 
At 10:04 AM, September 19, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

kooky uncle's legs were shaved and toned like crazy.

yowza.

he has 3 mtbs and a road bike, apparently.

 
At 11:00 AM, September 19, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

i have some chaps
i don't think they are leather
and i'm not a rodeo queen
and i think i lost one of them

they might be a little short for you but you can try them on....

(i won't take a picture, i promise)

 
At 1:56 PM, September 19, 2006, Blogger Brent said...

hes not that whacky, he still kept his pants on under them chaps..

uh except hernando knows a little about his shaved / toned legs... maybe there was more..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>