Friday, January 27, 2006

FU Food


I have always felt completely blessed to have grown up in a sort of multi-cultural environment. I could get all schmoopie about it and say I feel blessed because it has enriched me or taught me tolerance (I don't care much for that word but I am too full to blog on about why) and that I am a better person for it.

But really, it all has to do with food.

Love to eat.

Love to eat different foods.

So, when I suggested to the group here at work that we celebrate Chinese New Year today, it wasn't just because I wanted to motivate the group or promote teamwork. It was because I wanted to munch on some dimsum and spring rolls.

good call. Thuy makes some damn fine spring rolls.

But, while munching on dimsum (the delightful little suprise package of foods), I've been learning lots of fun stuff about Chinese New Year from some of my co-wokers.


First, is that 2006 is the Year of the Dog...eccentric indeed.

Also, 2006 is known as bingxu. In the 'Stem-Branch' system, the years are named in 60-year cycles, and the Name of the Year is repeated every 60 years. 2006 is the 7th year in the current 60-year cycle.

It is Year 4703 by the Chinese calendar.

The custom of drums and fireworks during New Year's dates back to the legend of a ferocious man-eating monster, named Nian. The people finally killed the monster by stunning it with the sounds of all the villagers striking drums or lighting fireworks. Stupid dragon.

Luck plays a big part in New Year's celebrations, customs, and superstitions. The Chinese word for luck is Fu. Luck is celebrated with lots and lots of gambling, which apparently has already started. During the New Year's celebrations, you can walk into any Chinese (or in the case of my office, Vietnamese) household and the entire family is gambling. And eating.

Yum.

I am one FUfy girl. Now, pass the hoisin sauce.

10 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger nicknameless said...

mmm...dimsum me likey sticky rice in lotus leaf

 
At 12:36 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger nicknameless said...

my fortune:

it is a complex task to make things simple


???

 
At 12:36 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

If I were to write you a fortune cookie, thats exactly what I would have written you.

 
At 1:25 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

i think i'm gonna have to celebrate Chinese New Year tonight.

umm yummy.

"The greatest danger could be your stupidity"


i like this one.

 
At 2:12 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger ginmtb said...

You know, you're supposed to let the Chinese people post about Chinese New Year on their blog first, okay? Sheesh.

Maybe we need to put together a big ol' shindig for the Chinese New Year parade in SF.

Next time you're in Live-no-more let me know - there is a fantastique dim sum restaurant in Dublin. Chicken feet! Yummy, yummy, yummy!!!

 
At 2:32 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

I'm in Lovermore every weekend. Leaving for it in about an hour actually....give me dublin dimsim!

 
At 3:10 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger ginmtb said...

Willow Tree Restaurant
6513 Regional St.
(925) 828-9111

(right by the Outback Steakhouse)

We should plan on dim sum sometime when you're not too bizzy in Lovermore if you know what I mean.

 
At 4:31 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

Lovermore, that's cute.

Still, I can't help but think Liverspot...

Is any of that dim-summy stuff suitable for us veggies?

 
At 4:48 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger ginmtb said...

There is some stuff that is veggie okay, but man, you're missing out on all that fatty, yummy food.

Is shrimp okay? Not sure if chicken feet qualify as meat so maybe that would work... :)

The selection for veggies though is pretty limited unfortunately.

 
At 4:58 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

no on the shrimp

fish eggs are questionable

snails are right out

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>