Sunday, January 22, 2006

Dork Alert


HI Sharon

Thank you for calling us dorky. Thats just about the damn best compliment you can give us. In a sport where elitism and cattiness are some of the gender sterotypes I've encountered, any ounce of dorkiness certainly can't hurt.
I am the bella that promoted that UCI race. I am the bella that posted that blog. I am the co-founder of Velo Bella. I suppose that makes me the queen of the dorks? Aww so be it. Pass me my flair, my beer, and let me finish this little response...

The sponsor stuff you saw on my ridiculous blog, was the prizes we received for the Surf City race series we promoted. Winners of the 3 race series were treated to what I personally consider the best merchandise payout of any race series in our area. Every single item you saw in those photos was given out to a racer in categories that ranged from Jr women to Men A and all kind of fun in between. Oh let me tell you, I was tempted to Ebay that shit...but alas...damn conscience keeps winning.

Unfortunately, I could not find similar success with finding a financial sponsor for our UCI race. We lost about 2K at that race. I bumped the women's prize money as much as my personal pocketbook could handle. Yes, my pocket book because if you got a check at that race...thats my name, address and wimpy checking account you see on it. Maybe the lack of financial success speaks about our abilities to promote at the elite level. And with that I cannot diasagree, which is why we are not promoting a UCI event next year. And while I did all I could to cover the difference, I can only do so much without seriously cutting into my personal beer tab.

But I still consider that Watsonville race a success. Why? Because we also spent a little bit of energy encouraging Women Category C riders to come out and race? (Women Category C is a category we encouraged local promotors to add to lists about 2 years ago by funding it with prizes for the promotors). For the Watsonville race we offered a CX bike donated by a local shop to be raffled off to all entrants in the Women C event. Just over 40 beginning women racers showed up that day to give Cyclocross a try. Amazing if I don't say so myself. Additionally the woman who won the bike is currently racing a late season cx series on it and it absolutely HOOKED on cx and encouraging her friends to come out and race with her.

Also, in addition to Cat C for women, we offered clinics to beginning racers before all of our events, and kids races. And free pies..which of course as nothing to do with anything, except that those damn pies were good.

So, if a little dorkiness encourages more people to the sport, but I couldn't afford to pay the elite women racers as much as I wanted to, so be it. I, for one, am pretty content with the way it all turned out.

Plus the after party was pretty darn kicking.

So should promotors be doing more for women's cycling? Is it their responsibility? Is that where elite whining...errr I mean constructive criticism should be aimed? Or is it all of our responsibility, especially the ambassadors at the elite level, to get more people out there racing so that race promotion, and elite women's racing, becomes financially viable?

I honestly dunno. Mostly just wanted to throw my meaningless 2 cents around and give the keyboard a workout. I lurk on this list because I dig the sport and this lists' energy and gib gab. So carry on...you too, Sharon. Different opinions don't bother me...hell bring it sister. Just maybe buy me a beer or pie or something next time.

Just don't make me dance with that half nekkid Richard ever again...

Cool (Written to the MABSBS list in response to:
1. Why don't they just use some of the money they saved by not offering a realwomen'sprize list at the Crank Bros race? Or if they spent less money on neon hair extensions perhaps they could send riders to races and shit. Oh wait- they can find plenty of money to send riders to races (like almost everything on the east coast) that offer more than theUCI *minimum* women's prize list, but at thier own race they shaft everyone who came from all over the country to do a race put on by a women's development cycling team.Sick of dorky bike chicks who take and take but don't put out,S
SHARON

and
2. @ Jon- Sorry, I didn't know the Bella's were so destitute. I must have gotten the wrong idea after reading this blog where a Bella was always writing about unpacking box after box of sponsor stuff. I can't remember which Bella it was, but I never saw her at any races.
@ Alex- Thanks for the invite, but I don't need to embrace gender stereotypes tomake me feel good about myself. But you're right about the Bella's needing leaders, cause the ones they have right now certainly dropped the ball when presented with an opportunity to fight for equal treatment for women.It's pretty sad that the UCI C1 race presented by a women's development club was the onethat awarded the least amount of prize money to the fewest women. Did you know thatVello Bella rider Barb Howe personally won more money at the two Whitmores races than her club gave out at the GP? What's up with that? Perhaps if more promoters gave Elite women racers the financial opportunities that they give the Elite men we wouldn't need to have these fundraisers every year to send riders toworlds. Just a thought.
Love,SHARON
ps: I *always* wave to other cyclists, even if I occasionly use only one finger to do it.)

26 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, January 22, 2006, Blogger ginmtb said...

I haven't even met you and you are one of my favorite dorks (and I'm sure the feeling is mutual maybe perhaps probably not no way).

You know, VB is horrible for women's cycling. All you do it get more women involved which really mucks things up for us men. I mean, you're making us look bad, you know?

Sad that people who don't know all the details of running a race/club/event/etc. don't understand what is involved in it - lots o' blood, sweat, and tears and money too. Plenty of it. Most people leading clubs end up spending a bunch of their money initially (not to mention take up tons of their personal time). I know that's how it worked for me.

What a dumba$$. Keep up the awesome job you're doing with VB and forget about the haters. Too much other positive stuff to address.

 
At 10:16 AM, January 22, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

Ain't life grand? God I love it.

And yes, you are almost at the top of my favorite dorks list.

 
At 10:36 AM, January 22, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

tough to stay positive and light-hearted in a response to such a mis-informed, ill-conceived, and shockingly immature public email.

well done, vello bella.

~

 
At 10:52 AM, January 22, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

personally, as one of the 40 Women's C Category racers who showed up that day and had a blast as it was the best cyclocross race i did all year, i have to say i am in it only for the money

i was going to make a comment on the accusation that you don't "put out" but pab censored it

 
At 11:26 AM, January 22, 2006, Blogger ginmtb said...

Oh my gawd I just read the thread that started this whole thing. Jon Hansen, even though I have no idea who you are, you are my new hero (sorry PF). If you are ever in need of a team, give me a call.

VB if you need anyone to rough some people up, let us know. We got your back!

 
At 3:16 PM, January 22, 2006, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

You know whats so funny about that? She accuses the VBs of "embracing gender stereo types to make us feel good" Huh? We have to be the most diverse cycling team on the planet. I mean with a quirky, artistic accountant that loves to dress up for Halloween, thrashing her opponents in her single speed disco trout bike, then drags (ok she didn't drag me but she did trick me alot!!!) a mexican side kick, ex runner girl, first grade teacher with skinny ass legs in go go boots. Yeah there's a stereo type.

Most women joined our team because we were a different choice. How many elite clubs can boast bringing up so many cat 4s into the the Pro field, have an international membership of 500 ages 12-60?

She's messed up, we don't embrace gender stereo types to feel good about ourselves. We are confident sexy, strong athletic women. We were that before, after and during cycling. Wearing flair, being sexy is fun, mix that up with cycling and well thats paradise. Whats her problem with that? I think she needs to get out of those grouchy shammies and do what we do, no not go go dance. Work her ass off to change a situation she complains about. At least, give us ideas on how we can lure these money sponsors to events we promote. It was damn hard, especially since it was a first time for us, and probably the only cross race promoted by a group of amateur women. We had no history. Does she think that marketing grumpy, pissed off women is a better bargaining tool? I hope this inspires her to go out and do something that will encourage or promote women in sports. Put your dinero where your mouth is sista don't just complain, offer useful suggestions, join a force that creates change, and celebrate the little steps women make in breaking into a male dominated sport.

 
At 4:52 PM, January 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's apparently:

1. jealous.

2. Intimidated.

XOXO,

Jed

 
At 5:33 PM, January 22, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

le oops.

posted above comment under VB's sign-in.

Is that intimacy for you?

oV's 2cents =

"tough to stay positive and light-hearted in a response to such a mis-informed, ill-conceived, and shockingly immature public email.

well done, vello bella."

~

 
At 6:25 PM, January 22, 2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

Here is just another "vote of confidence" for Velo Bella! YOU ROCK!

And yay for "le oops", dorkiness, flair, and all the other good stuff....

:)

 
At 7:25 PM, January 22, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

1. Gin - Jon Hanson is an opb..orginal podium boy. Dude found tru love because of the power of bella. sort of. Shmoop schmoop.

2. Bunny - I suppose the evidence of that is splattered all over some blog somewhere.

3. Lilly - I love you. Not in a shmoopie way of course...so guys put your tongues back. But if anyone asked me about "name any woman you would most want to have lunch with..." grumpy chamois indeed.

4. Jed - its not carbon

5. oV - I love you to pieces...but could you at least spell Velo Bella right?

6. BJM - thank you and now I think Michael has a crush on you.

 
At 7:48 PM, January 22, 2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

Heeeyyy!

Everyones' comment got a comment except mine!

(feelin a little left out, i am...)

 
At 8:13 PM, January 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sabine and oV....it even says on the easton website that the two were meant to go together.

They're like peas and carrots.

Peanut Butter and Jelly.

velo bella and oV.

No, seriously. It's fine. E me if not.

PPS: Easton's own carbon stem has an alum. faceplate.

 
At 9:11 PM, January 22, 2006, Blogger nicknameless said...

Grrrrr.....where is she. Lemmee at her.

JK. I agree with Lilly. If someone wants to make light of a perceived problem they should make it constructive.

Lifes to short for sour grapes...unless they have been turned into a nice wine.

 
At 9:12 PM, January 22, 2006, Blogger nicknameless said...

Ohhh....PS VB you are my hero, and I still love my bella bottle!!!

 
At 8:33 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

PAB - none for you. I am still recovering from all the hurt you put on me on Saturday.

 
At 8:58 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

bjm - red or green sierraNevada?

no way on those red .. those were GAY!
~

Jed said - you are forgetting the biggest factor ... sexiness.

matte-black carbon and aluminum on that beautiful bike? no merci!

there must be some high-glossed, uber sexy carbonia stem to match those existing fattyC bars and dazzling black/fusia paintgloss schema.

besides ... we pleases the veLobeLLa, yo.
~

 
At 9:51 AM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ugh. you guys kill me.

Send em back to me, can you?

Mike, have bean give you the sinclair catalog and pick something out.

Even the pros aren't this particular.

 
At 9:58 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

no way i'm getting more involved than just the fashion coordinator.

indian giver.
~

oh, and it was damn hip meeting you on Saturday. i'm bringing the cooler next time and we're busting out the chips n' salsa ... n' smack talk.

see you there.
m

 
At 10:04 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

Sabine = not paid to ride = freedom of choice

 
At 10:16 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

you'll have to wear glitter.
~

 
At 10:31 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

jed wore glitter on his right ear on saturday, whether he realized i to not

 
At 10:33 AM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suzy said "why the hell is there glitter" on your ear.

Then she said, all casually, "oh nevermind, you were with sabine"

 
At 10:56 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

little does she know how many women are putting glitter on your ears....

 
At 8:28 PM, January 24, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

i must comment again ... this was too enjoyable of a re-read not to re-comment.

"bunch of gawdamn bootrons" [beautiful-like].

~

 
At 6:50 AM, January 25, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

another note ~ i just looked at the costumed two of yous again in that pic.

...

of course, i notice the difference in cleanliness between your bike and hers.

... you just can't stay out of the dirt, can you.

i gotta get more Liebold shirts for our rag-bag.

lot of cleaning. lot of cleaning.

 
At 6:58 AM, January 25, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

Its Laura who should be ashamed that her mountain bike is clean

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>