Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Home


I get to go home today!

Home.

On Thursday, after evacuating out the kitties, I spent some time just hanging around the Corralitos "center". Most of the residents were there. I had someplace to go, as did most others there, but we all just hung around near town instead.

And each time I came back to my neighborhood during the evacuation I did the same thing. Just sort of stood around town. I wasn't alone in this on those days either.

And, while I was worried about the fire, mostly I was distressed that I could not go home. My home.

There is nothing material in my home that I am so fond of that I would be devastated to lose. I'd be bummed to lose any bikes, but even that, with the right insurance, is just an inconvenience. Yes, if my home had burned down it would have been a HUGE inconvenience, but thats all it would have been.

What would have bothered me more, would be not being able to go home.

I was talking to this woman who was also loitering around Corralitos. She said, "I don't mean to be cavalier, but I don't worry about my house burning down. I would gladly hand over my house and all my possessions to have my two children who are in Iraq returned home safely. I would give up my house, to have them home".

~~

Thanks everyone for all the concern. I really am lucky. And not because the fire missed my house, but because I am fortunate enough to be surrounded by such wonderful people.

It meant everything to me to have my friends calling and offering room in their homes, or space in their trucks, or just a shoulder to lean against. That reminder of how fortunate I am was a shot in the arm as much as a kick in the pants. I love you guys.

14 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, May 27, 2008, Blogger Sweet Cheeks said...

perspective is everything

 
At 2:33 PM, May 27, 2008, Blogger Michelle said...

Ryan & I are glad you and Hernando are OK. I thought about you guys every time I saw the fire coverage on TV. Ryan was so happy that you saved the Dawg - he work hard on that build. :)

 
At 3:23 PM, May 27, 2008, Blogger marscat said...

homeward bound!

 
At 4:11 PM, May 27, 2008, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

yay to going home!

 
At 4:39 PM, May 27, 2008, Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

I didn't want to breath smoke so I left town for the weekend.

To go camping. Where I breathed campfire smoke at the campground all weekend.

Ah well. At least my home wasn't a smoking ruin when I returned, so that's a good thing. And like you note, perspective is everything.

 
At 4:51 PM, May 27, 2008, Blogger Brian Peterson said...

Perspective is good, staplers, fires, crashes...

Glad you are able to go home. I hope that woman's children make it home safely too.

 
At 5:25 PM, May 27, 2008, Blogger Sacwheelgirl said...

Oh thank goodness. I thought about you guys every day and hoped for the best. I thought about how I would feel in your position. I'm so glad your home is okay!

Katie

 
At 8:04 PM, May 27, 2008, Blogger ~ lauren said...

glad you're going home soon! and that your home is there!

 
At 9:39 PM, May 27, 2008, Blogger MoJito said...

even more so was the energy and enthusiasm Michael and you put into teaching all us noobs how to ride the track yesterday. Impressive and inspiring. Many thanks.

 
At 8:46 AM, May 28, 2008, Blogger EB said...

So so glad.

 
At 7:33 PM, May 28, 2008, Blogger Steve said...

Welcome Home!

 
At 10:44 PM, May 28, 2008, Blogger X Bunny said...

hip hip hooray!

 
At 10:44 PM, May 28, 2008, Blogger X Bunny said...

i don't suppose the gnomes did the laundry for you while you were gone?

 
At 11:27 AM, May 29, 2008, Blogger jen said...

yay! So glad to hear.

It's very confusing, we had rain, you had fire.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>