Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Although this hardly makes up for it...


Damn self involved sport.

And Damn selfish me.

Once in a while I have to kick myself because I really am a terrrible friend.

My friend Jen even stopped calling me for rides. I was actually thinking of that the other day...wondering exactly when it was that she stopped trying. I am so bad, that I didn't even know when, I just knew that sometime along the way, she stopped.

I was outside on my porch last night, enjoying the sunshine and the calm redwood breezes, and a rare uncommitted moment, with my beer and rice cakes (they cancel each other out) when the familiar Cal Trans truck lurched up my driveway.

Jen!

She pulled up, hopped out the truck, gave a big smile and mosied over (Jen doesn't walk, she moseys)and sat herself right next to me on the swing. I offered her some beer and rice cakes (she only accepted the beer) and we just chatted away as if our riding times had never been interrupted.

Jen is probably one of the best damn mountain bike riders I have ever had the priviledge of riding with. Smooth, effortless,and so subdued you hardly know how fast she's going, until suddenly, with only a tiny wisp of dirt to acknowledge her presence, she's gone.

And although she can ride circles around me, and many other people, I never ever sniff a hint of competitiveness, inpatience, or ego from her. She doesn't care that she is fast, and you are or aren't. She doesn't care that I wear bright shiny flaired out pink girly lycra and she wears muted wools and mismatched socks, she just cares about having fun riding her bike. Are we having fun? yes? Then it must be good. The moment.

And so it was with our conversation. I did not detect a sniff of disappointment or resentment or anything other than how cool it was to be swinging on the front porch in the redwoody sunshine, sipping beers and chatting with a friend. The moment.



And while my honey waited calmly inside, and the sushi got cold (or warm or whatever it is that mediocre take out sushi gets when you leave it on the plate too long)Jen and I swung, sipped and chatted away the deep summer evening.

~~~~

My friend Kenny returned from Australia. I was so sad when he left...but he's been back for a couple of months now and I still haven't seen or ridden with him.

I might have to pop in for a surprise visit soon.

5 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, June 26, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

this makes me sad

cuz i think of the people that i have been neglecting

and i doubt i'm going to do much about it because most of the time being a good wife is as much or more than i can handle

but i'm so glad that you and jeni had a good visit

there may be hope for me

or i may fall asleep and forget all about it

 
At 5:08 PM, June 26, 2007, Blogger olive gate said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5:09 PM, June 26, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

women in cal trans trucks are cool and women in winner's jerseys are even cooler...

 
At 9:19 PM, June 26, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

ok
i did some sprints and feel better

 
At 10:24 AM, June 27, 2007, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

lovely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>