Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Johnny Pluotseed


Yesterday on my lunch ride, I stormed straight into the wind all mad with guilt. Guilt from driving alllll the way to Sattley and not racing the TT. My lunch ride was gonna be all about penance and I had just the gnarly headwind to scream my act of contrition to.

But racing just wasn't a good option this weekend. Those other time trials were short enough that I could fake them. Who cares that I never ever practice time trial stuff when its only a half hour? Thats like the time Laura talked me into doing a 5K run. I don't run, but it was just 5k and so it didn't really matter. But a 10K would have killed me. And a 40K time trial would have done the same, and it would have done it in the ugliest of ways.

And of course, come Monday morning, I felt all guilty about it.

So I am roaring into the wind, on the flattest, straightest, chipsealiest, headwindiest road in Morgan Hill, making a beeline for the smog of San Jose. I am thinking about how I will tear it up on the way back too, when I spot a cute little fruit stand.

"No time for cute little fruit stands when you are suffering!" said my guilt.

"But fruit is good for you" said me.



And I stopped and bought a bag of pluots. But the pluots didn't fit into my jersey pockets. I needed to eat some. And I did and they were soooo good. I stuffed the rest into my pockets and headed back to work all ready to crank out some more suffering. But those pluots in my back pockets kept bouncing around, and they were so yummy and sweet. And with the tailwind, it was easy to ride, eat, and pitch the pit.

And they were pretty much all gone by the time I got back to work.

So, if 10 years from now, you spot a bunch of pluot trees by the side of Hale Ave, you know why.

15 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, June 12, 2007, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

pluot, pluot, pluot!

 
At 11:54 AM, June 12, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

ypu said pluot!

 
At 12:17 PM, June 12, 2007, Blogger ~ lauren said...

doesn't eating so many of those pluotseses make you poop a lot?

or give you a tummy ache?

a pluotseses ache?

 
At 12:38 PM, June 12, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

i really think they should have been able to come up with a better name than pluot

like apriyum

 
At 2:29 PM, June 12, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

poopy pluots

 
At 2:30 PM, June 12, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

speaking of poop, we really need to find a name for the new little kitty. Right now, Michael and I are calling him puupuu and its sort of sticking.

the little pooper.

 
At 2:43 PM, June 12, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

S- emailed you about din tonight?

i like the name puupuu.

he's very pouncy? maype an acrobat's type name? like pierre? (like I would know an acrobat type name)

 
At 2:48 PM, June 12, 2007, Blogger marscat said...

i did that dang race and have race guilt...thank you for bringing our clothing.

 
At 2:49 PM, June 12, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

kiki and pupu?!

you guys are frightening me

 
At 7:13 PM, June 12, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

seriously, I don't think we need to do things like race 40Ks when we don't want to...it is just a negative thing to do to your self-confidence and morale or at least it was to mine...don't feel guilty...

 
At 7:37 PM, June 12, 2007, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

Yay Sabine!

One of the benefits of getting older, is realizing you don't have anything to prove to anyone. So, if you didn't want to do it, then don't. Believe me, we know how tough you are! hey speaking of windy days, remember when we exfoliated the sides of our faces along Seaside? Now that was tougher than any time trial. You know why you did it for more than an hour? (ride all sideways against 40mph side winds) cause you were trying to keep me from falling over. So girl, if you don't wanna do something you better have a good reason why you're doing it, like helping me...ha!

 
At 7:45 PM, June 12, 2007, Blogger chatterbox said...

mmm. Pluots! I've been enjoying the closely related cousins, the Apriums lately. Yummy :)

 
At 8:34 AM, June 13, 2007, Blogger veloandvino said...

I'm going to buy some friday! Thanks for the reminder.
40k
The first 20k= fun.

The last 20k=not fun

 
At 10:22 AM, June 13, 2007, Blogger EB said...

Mmmmm...I am so happy to have access to good fruits again...

 
At 8:32 PM, June 14, 2007, Blogger GoldiJM said...

I bought some Apriums at the farmer's market recently. they looked like nice peacy-orange apricots, but had the rubbery texture of a plum.

I have to say that I think I like pluots better than apriums.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>