Monday, May 21, 2007

I think I just threw up a little


I got a sunburn on my new road rash skin

~~

My level of fitness is directly proportional to the ridiculous overgrowth and weeds in our yard

~~

My KONA road bike rocks the downhills. Be careful my ass, I did all this work to get up here, I am enjoying the carpet ride down. Yee fuckin haw.

~~

After all the fun, excitement, drama, suffering that was Kern, we spent an anticlimactic afternoon packing up camp. I bent over to pick up some stuff, and suddenly found myself puking in the bushes. Cantaloupe and Heineken (maybe or maybe not in that order) Ah, so this is how it ends.

~~




A long time ago (pre bella even), when Laura and I were beginner racers types, we dreamed of going to Kern. One year, we decided to go for it, to train for it. It was soooo intimidating....3 days of racing, 4 stages. How could we ever complete such a thing? So, we trained and trained. We met at night in East Garrison, and did intervals, and got hypothermic and scared by mountain lions. But we trained and pushed each other because we had to get tough if we were going to do a race like Kern.

And I don't remember exactly what happened, but it was probably life getting in the way like it does. And we didnt get to do Kern that year.

And life got so complicated. Work, bella, illness, injuries, houses, family....stuff. So complicated that suddenly we found ourselves unable to race at all.

And finally, six years later, and some changes, we both finally...FINALLY made it to Kern together.

It is no wonder that this year's Kern was magical.

It was a long time coming.

~~

Confession:

As quiet as I have been about winning the last stage, I am thrilled deep down inside where no one can see. In over 6 years of racing, I can count my road race wins on my one broken hand. I know that in the gigantic perspective of life, its such a silly thing...what with wars and poverty and illness....whats a damn bike race of old ladies in the middle of the cadillac desert? but still, its a small moment of satisfaction that I am selfishly grateful for. Thanks guys for this little memory trinket.

~~

Kern race report is here
the race report is long and ho hum, but the replies are golden and well worth a click over there.

~~

In slow, out fast.
Just like sex.

17 Comments:

At 5:49 AM, May 22, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

Congratulations on your win. It is great that you could finally get there and win a stage.

Also, I think you do a great thing with VB. Women's riding and racing needs to get more spotlight and more acknowledgement. Velo Bellas and Velo Girls are proving that every weekend.

 
At 6:42 AM, May 22, 2007, Blogger Kimberly (aka. DrKim) said...

The said teamwork you discuss in your report is what makes this whole thing so great. And I'm sure you are thrilled to win a stage--as you should be! Life always gets in the way, and yet somehow we figure out ways to weave through that maze. And you know, sometimes the ones that seem insiginificant to others are really the most meaningful. And I feel the same way about my win, which was my first ever. The support of fellow competitors, the joy of accomplishing something hard, and the ability to fit extraordinary things into a sometimes ordinary life...well, that really is amazing. Congratulations, Sabine!!!!

 
At 9:01 AM, May 22, 2007, Blogger Kimberly (aka. DrKim) said...

and 35+ is not old! Do not burst my bubble (being 34 going on 20...)!!!!!! I lost about 7 years in my 20's due to an awful case of undiagnosed hypothyroidism, and I'm determined to re-live them now! Feeling younger than ever...

 
At 9:07 AM, May 22, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

yes, old. But in a good way.

I don't think any of us in that 35+ were under 40. Even had a few grandmas. I was probably the baby of the group.

 
At 9:20 AM, May 22, 2007, Blogger jen said...

You *should* be satisfied.

That was a beautifully played race. The right move, and the legs to finish it. Totally perfect. Even better, to have friends to share it with.

Ok, I wasn't there, but I read the report ;-)

Congrats!

 
At 10:30 AM, May 22, 2007, Blogger EB said...

I am incredibly inspired by people who break through the boundaries of what they think they can or can't succeed at. And when they do it not for their own benefit, but because they are inspired to help someone else succeed? Beyond words.

 
At 10:39 AM, May 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are looking good...

 
At 10:41 AM, May 22, 2007, Blogger marscat said...

I am thrilled deep down inside where no one can see

I think the pic Michael posted on his blog show it all in your huge smile.

 
At 11:12 AM, May 22, 2007, Blogger ~ lauren said...

i read the race report last night and it was neat! what fun!

you're very humble.

and your enthusiasm is very inspiring.

and i agree with marscat. that picture says it all.

 
At 12:49 PM, May 22, 2007, Blogger chatterbox said...

Woo hoo! Great job on that win. I am inspired!

 
At 2:17 PM, May 22, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

are you trying to get LillyBella's 3 puke points for the GC win?

what's all this about sunburn on road rash and wins on one broken hand...what happened?

 
At 2:56 PM, May 22, 2007, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

my sweetie is awesome

 
At 5:03 PM, May 22, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

thank you

IA - I already got those points because I had the good sense to puke in front of her

the road rash is from my doofus fall on my lunch ride back a bit

the broken hand is from hockey

 
At 7:25 PM, May 22, 2007, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

these are the memories you imprint, crystalize, and savour in your memory. They are also the ones that remind you of what you are capable of in those darker moments of doubt. So etch them in girl, you are a champion and always will be.

so so proud of you!

and of me, I actually trained more than a few weeks this year! Thanks to you and Olaf for keeping me focused during the work week. (and my own Sweet G who became my new workout bud)

We are a lucky bunch of bellas. I think every so often a special group of people form to make magical things happen. Don't know why or for what, but our group this year does just that.

 
At 7:33 PM, May 22, 2007, Blogger marscat said...

lilly, linda was saying pretty much the same thing... we are in the midst of something fine.

and i thought he was manmeat not sweet G.

 
At 2:11 PM, May 23, 2007, Blogger ginmtb said...

In slow, out fast.
Just like sex.


I think it just moved... :)

Nice job on your win. Nothing wrong with being a little selfish every once and awhile, considering how much you do for everyone else. And at least you can count a win.

 
At 8:23 PM, May 25, 2007, Blogger Brennabella said...

'It was soooo intimidating....3 days of racing, 4 stages. How could we ever complete such a thing?'

3 days from the the Mt. Hood Cycling Classic and you are so right on, I shed a tear. Please come race with me, so you can watch me throw up too!

Glad you are enjoying you life, accomplishments, and all that you have created in Women's Cycling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>