Friday, April 06, 2007

Good Friday


Easter is weird.

I mean, how do we go from a man (son of god, philosopher, spiritual leader, take your pick) being put to death on a crucifix and then supposedly rising from the dead two days later to save all of humanity from the sin of being human (or something)..how do we go from that to Bunnies that carry baskets of dyed chicken eggs, and brunches of glazed ham, and cartons of marshmallow peeps?

And whats with Easter being on a different Sunday each year. Who decides that anyway?

Speaking of religion, which I shouldn't because I will likely offend, but even after 8 or more years of roman catholic bible pounding, no one could ever explain what it meant to be the son of god. With the greek and roman gods, it was pretty clear. They had little god families. God husbands and wives, and sometimes mortal mistresses and sons and duaghters and all the family baggage that goes with that like jealousy and protection. You could picture them sitting around their god family table on the top of some mountain and eating grapes and stuff.

But the bible god is not like that. He or she or the entity doesn't have a house in the clouds or a dinner table or a wife/husband. So I never could understand what it meant to be the son of that. And no one could explain. Not even Father McGuiness who usually looked like he drank too much of his own namesake.

And don't even get me started on the holy ghost. But my visions as a kid whenever I made the sign of the cross and said the holy trinity, was some old dude with a big beard, some adult hippy looking guy with sandals, and casper the friendly ghost. Because I figured that if a ghost was part of all this, he was at least friendly.

What does any of this have to do with biking? Its all the crazy random crap that ran through my mind during my lunch ride today. All alone, on trails I have ridden before...the mind wanders. Sometimes afterwards I can't even remember where it wandered.

~~

This afternoon I made a quick dash over to Target to get a head start on necessary supplies for our booth at Sea Otter. Here is what I bought:

2 packs of AA Batteries
1 Extension cord
1 big box of Pepperidge Farm goldish (cheese flavored)
2 Cosmic light up hula hoops
2 strands of door beads from the kid's room section
1 bubble machine
1 gallon bubble juice
6 strands of cosmic beads necklaces
2 multicolored stunt dance ribbons
3 bags lollipops
1 kid's hello kitty roller disco shirt size XL

I hope we don't lose our non profit status....

~~

I was a complete goofball spaz on my ride today. Couldn't ride a rock to save my life. Took three tries to get up this little grunt I have been doing without problem lately. Fell over just straddling my bike (not once, but twice even). Almost fell while trying to take a Lauren'esque self portrait. And ran into a fence while looking at a bunch of firefighters.

whatever.

15 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, April 06, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

do goldfish come in some flavor other than cheese?

 
At 6:56 PM, April 06, 2007, Blogger diskzero said...

I look at as specialized manifestations of a single consciousness. Maybe not a whole lot better of an explanation than none, but at least it is a try.

 
At 7:36 PM, April 06, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

oh, is it easter soon?

 
At 7:49 PM, April 06, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

since 1974, I have never liked good friday because my mom died on this same day when I was just a wee thing...so we had drinks and lots of them today...yea...almost got marscat to do copper ruts are us...but then we sobered up...

didn't they say he arose 3 days later...was that three working days?

 
At 7:55 PM, April 06, 2007, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

Good thing you got the hoops, I just spent a good fortune on disco ball beads and necklaces...

I spent today cleaning out 3 tubs of bella crap...and organizing the sparkly from the darkly, I swear this stuff spawns. The bella lounge lives to party another year.

I cleaned my bubble machine too so we have double the bubble.

shouldn't xbunny be painting eggs and stuff, its getting awfully late. Do they make Droste chocolate eggs?

 
At 8:28 PM, April 06, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

trac - yes. And they come in easter colors.

Disk - so Jesus is the son of a specialized manifestation of a single consciousness?

Like the angel?

X bun - This should be your special day.

ippoc- so sorry to hear about mom and the subsequent copper cancelling sobriety. And he rose on the third day, which is two days later.

lilly - these hoops light up when you wiggle

scrubbing bubbles

 
At 8:40 PM, April 06, 2007, Blogger diskzero said...

I certainly don't want to say that I am some sort of theological expert, so warning, here are some possibly misinformed thoughts...

In the Hebrew texts, God is commonly referred to in plural. So there is historical precedent for the Christian (maybe others?) concept of a triune deity. Some people say that the entities of father/son/spirit are in several places in the Old Testament.

So then, who is Jesus under this arrangement? He is a physical manifestation of a part of God. Why? Well, to solve the problem of original sin and arrive as a solution.

I am more of a bike racer than a biblical scholar. I can't even come to an understanding of the origin of the universe, let alone try to understand God. Heck, I can't even figure out how to win a bike race.

 
At 9:03 PM, April 06, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

disk - So does that mean you did you not get my clever specialized angel joke?

 
At 9:12 PM, April 06, 2007, Blogger ~ lauren said...

i went to target at lunch today too. i was looking for white lights to string on our backyard patio.

then i saw all the crazed mom's buying easter basket stuff in the easter aisles.

ah crap! forgot about that easter bunny stuff.

so, i too bought some of those light up hoolahoops. and some rainbow goldfish to put in plastic easter eggs to hide in the yard.

and some chocolate kisses and card games and little girl nailpolish and hair sparkles and some little legos.

i don't believe in jesus rising from the dead, but i believe in the easter bunny.

 
At 9:22 PM, April 06, 2007, Blogger diskzero said...

Oh! You forgot to capitalize Specialized. That promotes it to a deity.

 
At 6:58 AM, April 07, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

it's raining today-saturday....is copperopolis schdeuled for rain?

 
At 1:52 PM, April 07, 2007, Blogger erein said...

I have a pair of roller skates that I'm bringing that you all can borrow. I think they have pink wheels. I'll have to sneak them past HE WHO IS IN CHARGE OF SEA OTTER PACKING. How can two people have 6 bikes that it is an ABSOLUTE NECCESSITY to bring to Sea Otter?

Sigh.

 
At 5:59 PM, April 07, 2007, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

how can the third day mean two days?

that is just nutz.

dibs on the goldfish.

 
At 11:54 AM, April 09, 2007, Blogger Eclectchick said...

Oooo, I'd like to see those firefighters who gave you such trouble. That fire musta been HOT!

 
At 4:36 PM, April 09, 2007, Blogger EB said...

More firefighters!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>