Sunday, November 12, 2006

This about sums it up


I did this too today. In my car.

I was rushing back home to get our copy of the insurance paperwork, when Michael called to tell me it was no use and we had to cancel.

I was somewhere on a farmroad in Corralitos and I just let loose and bawled. I hardly ever get emotional like that, but when the floodgates finally open...well all sorts of shit that should have been let loose over the years comes pouring out too.

And then after that I was basically useless. I stood by and watched others take down the course we worked so hard to put up. I stood by and watched others tell disappointed racers that the event was cancelled. Thank goodness I have so many people around me who can function when the shit hits the fan, because I sure didn't have the stomach for it.

I really wanted to crawl into a hole and put my hands over my ears and scrunch my eyes closed and hum.

But the Surf City crew has balls. And they stood in the street and looked people in the eye and told them "sorry".

And so, it is to all of them, that I say "sorry". If there is anyone I do not want to disappoint it is all of them.

I asked Jeff Clark if Surf City had ever been cancelled. He told me it had not. Great, a 30 year run and I have that dubious distinction. Then Jeff corrected himself by saying that they did have to cancel once....after the Loma Prieta earthquake. Oh. Well, that makes me feel better. Just me and one of the worst natural disasters to ever hit this area.

Thank you to Brent and Jen for the therapuetic ride we did this afternoon. Brent's charm, Jen's quiet optimism, Laura's antics, Michael's patient love, and trails as happy as they come, worked their magic. I don't feel like crying anymore. I feel just a little more like this:



Thanks to Don and Wendy for taking the pics of his daughter Abby crying after being told there was no Surf City. They made me giggle. And thanks too for all of the supportive emails. You guys are all great.

13 Comments:

At 5:36 AM, November 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you will get through this with sparkling glitters...

 
At 8:39 AM, November 13, 2006, Blogger marscat said...

did you start making that gulping for air sound? that's when it's a really good cry.

but seriously, sorry this had to happen. we felt bad for you guys...you work so hard.

 
At 8:43 AM, November 13, 2006, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

ok-poaching on marscat's comments a 2nd time, my feelings too and all that work...

i hate that gulping for air thing...try it going up woody...it really sucks then...

 
At 9:30 AM, November 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good catch on the Ruffles bag Denise! We had to think fast once the screaming started. We also had the family dog with us who needed a break, so we ran around on the big oval lawn near the entrance for a few minutes, taught Abby about the dangers of toadstools, and made wishes with dandelions. Abby was really looking forward to her 3rd race, so we ended up doing a couple of her other favorite things - the candy store in Capitola, and shopping for some new hightop Connie's (she chose blue this time).

 
At 10:00 AM, November 13, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

funny, it seemed to me that you were one of the calm ones out there

and it helped a lot to have you come around and make sure everyone knew what was happening, giving us updates etc

 
At 1:00 PM, November 13, 2006, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

what are the dangers of toadstools?

Sabine, I still and will always have the HUGEST amount of respect and admiration for you. Drat on the nasty-grams.....they have no idea. Someday, you'll look back at this and well, maybe not, but who cares?

 
At 1:33 PM, November 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's a damn good thing "I" didn't show up! I woulda had some wurds w/the managment and heads would be ROLLIN'! (mostly because they wouldn't be able to handle the endless high-pitch yelp of the dingo, that they'd chop their own heads off...) it's a bummer this happened. in the moment, it seems the world has ended (for promoter and for bike racer). but its only a bike race and yes, people worked damn hard to put it on, but kept in perspective, worse things could have happened. Thank God Don and Wendy are quick thinkers. too bad they didn't have Ruffles for the rest of the crying bike racers.

 
At 1:42 PM, November 13, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

and it gave me the excuse of posting yet more adorable pics of Abby

 
At 5:04 PM, November 13, 2006, Blogger Groove Talking... said...

Sorry about the race, I would have cried too!

I talked to both of the big bosses two weeks ago at the last Surf City race and they gave me some interesting information. There seems to be a large scale power struggle going on between the men and the two women bosses.

 
At 5:15 PM, November 13, 2006, Blogger nicknameless said...

mmmm...the Dingo is so wise ;)

without a few trails and tribulations life would just be a borefest anyway. Bring on the rain! ;)

 
At 11:13 PM, November 13, 2006, Blogger Brennabella said...

What a darlin' little girl...
Sabine, you do good things, sorry about your disappointment... after all your very hard work...
Chin up! Abby is soo cute.

 
At 12:47 PM, November 14, 2006, Blogger MoJito said...

Just take comfort in knowing that all of sudden, CX racers throughout the area thought in unison: "holy crap, an entire Sunday with nothing scheduled." We particularly were so overwhelmed we didn't know what to do with ourselves. It was like a premature Christmas morning (wait, I'm Jewish. Oh well). It was a toss up between a big ol' Sunday breakfast and a ride in the UC. Fortunately for me, the breakfast won.

 
At 10:40 PM, November 29, 2006, Blogger Vanderkitten ViP Team said...

Once again proving that Velo Bella has a huge heart and a living, breathing soul. You still kick ass and we love you so!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>