Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Banana break post


I'm titling this one the way I am because that way, if anyone from my work ever read this, they'd say, "well at least she posted that while she was on her banana break".

I had a lovely lunch ride today and I have Queen Ann to thank for it. This morning, the day was wet and gloomy and I knew it would take heaps of motivation to get me out in such weather. I told Ann to give me a wake up call when it was time to head out at lunch. She did and I groaned, but I got my lazy butt up and out of the chair and to Sputnik to change.

Sputnik. I have Sputnik because Michael is getting long overdue work done on the toaster. And how do I thank him for doing something so considerate? By driving the hell out of that little minivan (Hecker Pass...weeeeee!) and getting it all messy. Within 6 hours I have managed to get Sputnik to look as bad as my car. Thats all my junkmail splattered in the back. How in the hell I ever got on Swiss Colony's mailing list, I'll never know. As if....


So anyway, I head over to Sputnik to change. You know what the best thing about gloomy cold days are? I get to wear my Sheila Moon snugglie wugglie top. You know what the worst thing about getting ready to ride on a gloomy cold day is? Having to take off my Sheila Moon snugglie wugglie top for cold cycling clothes. I sat in the car, for a few moments contemplating why on earth I would want to take off my snuggliewugglie just to get all cold and dripply. But Queen Ann was waiting, so I did it.

Ann and I headed out into the bluster, our pockets stuffed with lots of just in case rain gear. You know what that means right? The more prepared you are for bad weather, the more likely it will clear up and be 70 degrees. And sure enough, within about 5 minutes the clouds disappeared and the sweet sun emerged.

I wasn't complaining.

After a bit of peddling, we came to Anderson Reservoir. This is where Ann and I would part. She was off to do two minute intervals and I was off to do anything but two minute intervals. And so, with our pockets overflowin with rain gear, we parted ways.

I headed out towards the Coyote Creek trail. If ever you want a bike path all to yourself, this is the one. I hardly ever ever see anyone on this path. Its a perfect place to do intervals because you won't be bothering anyone but the bobcats and squirrels. Of course, the only intervals I would be doing would be camera phonervals. (which aren't as easy as they sound actually).

And how come no one ever told me about my geeky helmet straps? Hello?

After a few pedalings and a few photos, it was time to turn around and catch the tailwind home. Ahh...tailwinds. Bliss. Moving without really pedalin. Sort of defeats the whole training thing...but man...thats bliss.

I came back to my car all smiles and spunk. Ann was back at the same time. She was not all smiles and spunk. She looked nauseous actually. Said she did two more than last time and now feels really ill but that maybe thats how she's supposed to feel. Two more of what, I have no idea. Don't want to know. Not right now anyway.

k, banana's done.

20 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, November 08, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

you get rewards

 
At 6:24 PM, November 08, 2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

i had a banana break today. It was right between my coffee break and my toast with butter and jam break.

Then migo and I had a nap.

 
At 6:27 PM, November 08, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

nice candidcamera shots

did you get a new helmet?

 
At 6:54 PM, November 08, 2006, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

i had jury duty today and wanted to nap but there is a sign that sleeping is prohibited, we got a three hour break so I did to get ride my bike...gotta go back tomorrow-yuck

VB, you don't have any relatives in Fort Riley do you???

 
At 6:59 PM, November 08, 2006, Blogger marscat said...

How in the hell I ever got on Swiss Colony's mailing list, I'll never know. As if....

you too?

and that pic of the water is really gorgeous.

who are all you people riding at lunch? i know for a fact you can't do it in an hour what with squeezing in and out of lycra...not possible.

 
At 8:46 PM, November 08, 2006, Blogger Web said...

Your reference to bobcats on the Coyote Creek Trail sparked my curiosity so I Goggled it. Were you writing about the 14 mile long trail running from San Jose, California? If so, the story I read about that trail made it sound kind of dingy so I'm wondering if it's been upgraded.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading your post.

Respectfully,
Larry Lagarde
World-Class-Bike-Trails.blogspot.com
Urging bicycling for recreation, commuting, health and a better future.

 
At 8:47 PM, November 08, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

oV - thats my only motivation

pab - bobolitooooo

xb - no, its the same helmet...so thats why I am so distrubed about finding thins out now, several months later.

ipp - that sign was begging for defacement. And no. I'm quite sure I don't have any relatives there. Not wothout any wine on Sundays.

mars - yes, and I am disturbed. I love me some cheese. But not all rolled up into logs and painted orange.
And thanks....that was done with the camera phone.
And I work for a company in the bike biz.

 
At 7:11 AM, November 09, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

it is too early in the morning for me to figure things out

i may have hallucinated last night but i think you deleted on us

which is fine, if it didn't give me a small brain cramp this am

 
At 7:16 AM, November 09, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

uuhhh...

huh?

 
At 7:26 AM, November 09, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

nice try

you are not going to make me lose my mind

 
At 10:45 AM, November 09, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

uhhh...

okay.

 
At 11:01 AM, November 09, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

The photo on this post was taken from the path. Its actually suprisingly scenic, given its location between Highway 101 and Monterey Road.

Closer look reveals a lively riparian habitat, bordered by farmlands on one side, and the barren east hills on the other.

There are a few spots of Coyote Creek trail that pass through or near urban areas, but even those sections aren't as bad as described in that article.

Most of the trail runs through a very rural corridor. I see far more animals than people.

Hawks and Bobcats are especially prevalent. I've also seen evidence of mountain lions. But thankfully, since I am always alone on this path, no actual sitings.

http://pages.prodigy.net/rhorii/coytecrk.htm

 
At 11:52 AM, November 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

coyote creek is where hunny proposed to me along with our sled team... he use to train them there with a cart before he did the dune mushing in Oregon

 
At 12:00 PM, November 09, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

Did he train there about...oh 6 or 7 years ago?

 
At 12:04 PM, November 09, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

forgive me
i may be more braindead than usual today....

 
At 12:17 PM, November 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

vb - almost 8 years ago...we hitched the following year

 
At 12:24 PM, November 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you just made my day...happy tears remembering that moment...thx

 
At 12:25 PM, November 09, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

I used to see him then! A few times. The first time I saw him it freaked me out. Just not something you expect to see in these parts.

funny.

 
At 12:31 PM, November 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no way! weird...

 
At 11:39 PM, November 09, 2006, Blogger Brennabella said...

Another Californian bragging about the weather;-) I can't wait 'til the day my blog gets 20, make that 21 comments. SuPose I am really not that interesting... but Luca is :-)
x,
BB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>