Monday, July 10, 2006

Too much baggage



In preparing for our trip to Nationals, I looked up the baggage charges on American Airlines.

Seems as if we should switch sports.

There were a whole bunch of other sportsgear that do not get charged any additional amount, even though they are equally cumbersome.

I always knew that golf clubs were free. And it sort of pisses me off because they are just about as cumbersome and far heavier. But I figured that the airline execs who made these kinds of decisions all play golf. Hell, they probably made that decision on the golf course.

But there were a lot of other sports that got a free ride, such as:
Archery
Boogie boards
Fishing rods
Hockey gear and sticks
Oars
Skis
and snowboards

What was even funnier was the list of items that were charged extra. Seems as if bicycles have been lumped into a very strange little group of niche sports and hobbies:

Hanggliders
Javelin
Antlers

and yes, I wrote antlers.

I'm not quite sure what its doing in the sporting goods sections. But, if you want to bring on antlers, it will cost you the same as a bike, $80, and they add this:
Must be as free of residue as possible. The skull must be wrapped and tips protected.

ewwwww...

7 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

.

we're screwed.

.

 
At 1:15 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

boogie boards go free? really? you guys mind bringing me back one from...what beach are you going to again?

 
At 1:16 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger nicknameless said...

oh now that's just nasty

wait till you try to get your gearbags on the plane...I take an empty duffle bag just in case they try to hit you with the overweight charge.

Sometimes if you just calmly open your bags and begin re-packing right there in line they realize they aren't going to be able to screw you with the fee and they let your bag go as is. ;)

 
At 5:02 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger Ron Castia said...

When we went to Iowa I put a sticky back label on my case that said "This is not a bomb", worked great.

For some reason they tour Joey's apart, must have been that wind up alarm clock I stuck in while he wasn't looking. Tic toc, tic toc.

If I would have known I would have brought the left over bike vouchers I have and given them to OV at Lafayette.

 
At 5:19 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

we were gonna do the fed ex thing

but Michael and I are both so caught up in life that we forgot to do it in time

ah well

 
At 6:15 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

antlers? cleaned antlers? that's sad...

try packing some extra stuff in your carry on....sometimes they don't weigh that stuff...just keep it outta sight...

 
At 6:40 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger IronDad said...

I ship our bikes via FedEx ground... but out of curiosity I called Continental this afternoon and it's gone up from $80 to $95!

Once, when I was feeling lawyerish (I'm a lawyer but don't always feel lawyerish ;-) I carried on the wheels and shipped the rest of the bike as baggage... when the counter agent tried to charge me for a bike I told her it wasn't a bike because if you took it out of the box you couldn't ride it.

It sort of pissed her off having to think outside the box (pun intended) but eventually she let me go without charging me since it was also under weight and measurements.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>