Friday, July 07, 2006

My dad can beat up your dad



During one of the commentaries on the tour, someone remarked that Ekimov is 40 years old.

Four-ty

Thats like, older than me. And I'm feeling pretty durn old these days. I hobble out of bed the day after a 2 hour mountain bike ride. I groan and my knees crackle when I get up out of my chair. I'm cranky and kids these days annoy me.

But Eki is timeless. At 40, he is racing the tour for like the 37th time, on the (arguably) best team in the business. He's smart, has earned respect in the peloton, and can still place in the top of a time trial. Thats some awesome shit. Eki is nails.

I think he retired once. But that didn't last long. I can't remember the details. I'm sure Lance offered a nice come back bonus. But I bet the spirit of competition is what really called him. Some guys just can't get enough.

So of course, I had to figure out who the other old dogs in the tour are. Here's a sampling of what I found.

While Eki can almost make the Euro-mullet cool, Laurent Brochard reminds us that its really pretty silly looking after all. I could talk about how Laurent is 38 years old and is still a rider to watch, especially in breakaways, or his Festina suspension...blah blah blah....but all I really want to do is share these lovely pictures of him I found. I had a hard time choosing which ones to post so I hope you enjoy them.


Giovanni Lombardi
is 37 years old. But frankly, he looks a little older than that to me. He should take that Real Age quiz thingie. Maybe those years pulling the Saeco train caught up to him. Lombardi has spent his career pulling sprinting legends Cippolini and Zabel to numerous victories. He was brought over to CSC as a "bodyguard" for Basso. He must be feeling a little lost right now.


Speaking of Zabel, the durable Erik Zabel made my old guy list. He's only 36, but in sprinter years, thats like being 50 or something. Plus he races everything, all year round. Erik has raced for Telecom since the beginning of his career in 1993. This year he traded in pink for blue and switched over to the Milram team where his duties are selling German buttermilk and leading out Petacchi. There's always something a little sad when a vet player switches teams at the end of their career. I'd love to see Zabel win a stage, but looking at the sprint results so far, it doesn't look so likely. Still, I'm rooting for him on each gallop. Go Erik! Go Buttermilk!


Why is Levi here? Well, because I downloaded pics of him, certain that he too was an old guy. Turns out he's not. He's only 33. He just looks really old.

15 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, July 07, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

How adorable is Eki in that Panasonic pic?

Is it okay to comment on your own post?

 
At 12:06 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

edumacation through velo bella babble

thanks again VB

it's okay to comment on your own post, but perhaps a little iffy to respond to your own comment when no other has posted a comment, or something like that

it's friday, yay.

 
At 12:11 PM, July 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Levi, LOL that is funny!

 
At 12:21 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

You know your wife is hot, when you are willing to walk around holding her yipyip dog in public.

 
At 12:24 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

And will someone tell me what Brochard is doing with his bib chamois and wheel in bed? All artsie-fartsied up in black and white.

Is that supposed to be sexy?

 
At 1:18 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

gay

 
At 2:05 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

btw ... you missed the brush in his right hand.


now that's hot.

hot and gay.

 
At 2:09 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger EB said...

LB is like Axl Rose meets Ahnold meets a sex change -- not pretty at all.

But Zabel...I love that guy! Sadder than his leaving Telekom at the end is Aldag retiring, leaving him to finish out his twilight years alone. Did you see Hollentour? Those guys are in lurve...

 
At 3:21 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger Lula-La Lula-Hula said...

I think that these Pros need to stick with racing and let the models do the photoshoots, especially the "I'm too sexy" ones.
Well, at least he can sing the following part:
"'m too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt
So sexy it hurts".

 
At 3:34 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

'sprinter years'--i love it

and commenting on your own post before anyone else can be a way to creative, or silly, or just to be sure you get a comment...

 
At 3:42 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

I didnt notice the brush
that is just over the top

 
At 12:31 PM, July 09, 2006, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

Talk about old. 47 year old Jeannie Longo won the 2006 French national road and time trial championships. I thought she retired, but I guess not. And, she's a granny too. Wow!

 
At 10:57 AM, July 10, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

due, you look like 10 years younger than Levi

at least

and yes, bob Roll.

 
At 4:44 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger Ron Castia said...

A little trivia about Levi. His early years in the P1/2 were on Bracs and Bagels from Park City. His first year with that team was a certain newbie geezer's last. That geezer once did a 75+ mile solo bridge to Levi at LOtoJa, but was nipped at the line to take second, to a young Levi.
Seems he is really good at second place these days. Maybe the luck will change.

 
At 3:59 PM, July 11, 2006, Blogger Brennabella said...

'sprinters years',...how does that apply to bellas?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>