Monday, July 03, 2006

Big boys

I am so bad. Sick even.

While Thor was lying there, on the ground, bleeding all over his bright yellow jersey, confused and in pain....I couldn't help but admire his legs. Look at the footage again and you will know what I am talking about. He has one leg slightly bent and its sort of rocking back and forth and its all tan and uber muscley.

I'm sorry Thor. But now that you are all better and racing again, I can admit it.

Thor.

I'm having fun just typing that name.
T-H-O-R

now where was I?

.....Oh yeah, so..... the commentators keep talking about "big Thor" or the "big Norweigan". I was curious, how big is Thor? (ladies...don't go there. I'm talking weight and height here) Its so hard to tell on tv because its tv and because most bike racers are generally slender and slight.

It turns out that Thor is 6 feet tall and weighs 178 pounds. Hardly a big Norweigan. He'd have a hard time playing collegiate football and would have to gain about 25 pounds to play hockey. But in cycling, he's "big".

I got to wondering who are the big boys of the tour and how big are they? To find out I had to click on all the names on the start list. (I didn't really have time to click on all of the names, so I just skipped all the french ones.)

Here are all the tour riders that are over 6 feet tall and weigh more than 180 pounds (plus or minus and according the official Tour website):

Pavel Padrnos: 6'2", 180 lbs
Pavel is a former member of the red guard, the famous Saeco lead out train that ushered Cippolini to so many victories. Now he is a rolleur and "bodyguard" on the road for Discovery.


Gert Steegmans: 6'3", 180 lbs
I don't really know much about this young rider from Belgium. And I couldn't find much in my quick little online search except that he has a degree in accounting. So, there you go.


Tom Boonen: 6'3", 176 lbs
At 176 lbs, Boonen almost didn't make the cut. But I have to include him because he's just the cutest thing and I by the looks of those biceps, I think he might be fibbing a bit on the weight.

George Hincapie: 6'3", 180 lbs
Its a bit unusual to have one of the biggest guys also be a G.C. contender. But Big Mig could do it, so maybe Georgie can too. Still, I don't know if I believe that weight. This would make George heavier than Boonen. Maybe George used to weigh 180 lbs...but judging from those medical photos, I think not anymore.


Magnus Backstedt: 6'4", 198 lbs
With a name like Magnus, you gotta be big. Magnus has almost 20 pounds over the next guy, so he's certainly the biggest guy in the bunch (except for Commeso in the off season). But come on 198 for a guy thats 6'4" is not all that big. He's not even a Clydesdale.

Thor Hushvod: 6', 178 lbs
T-H-O-R .... lets just look at him for a bit, shall we.

6 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, July 03, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

i have a soft spot for the big guys

but there is no way that georgie is anywhere near 6'3"

except maybe when he wears his stilletos as parties

 
At 1:00 PM, July 03, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

I dunno
He's pretty tall. I would say that 6'2 or 3" is about right. But this was at a party so maybe he was wearing those stilletos..

 
At 1:30 PM, July 03, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

stilletos?

oh, so that's how he got these

ewww ...

and THOR is so my new favorite.

bicep sliced open, then chomping at the sprints again to regain the yellow jersey.

i luvs me some viking.

 
At 2:04 PM, July 03, 2006, Blogger marscat said...

what is going on with George's leg? how does one get that?

 
At 12:38 PM, July 05, 2006, Blogger Dr. Xeno said...

Georgie is TOO 6'2-3', but so under 180 lbs now. Remember at his ToC stage win in San Jose he almost touched the overhead finish banner with his victory pose. Plus, didn't Maggie lose a bunch of weight this winter/spring so he could suffer all the way to Paris?
Yup, we're all geeks. Love it.

 
At 1:40 PM, July 05, 2006, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

Georgie looks like he is at the Anna Rexia camp in that photo...he's a tall one but not a biggun! He looks like he suffers from the same gnarly vein syndrome I have. Those are vericose veins and you get them from your parents. They are pretty useless, all freakshow no go, sorry to say.

As he gets older they'll drape down to his ankles...not that I would know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>