Thursday, June 22, 2006

Heat Advisory


I'm far too freckly fair fogged skin for this kind of weather. Since I work where its hot, I've been trying to get out and ride in this stuff to get used to it.

Useless is more like it.

I need one of those ice vests.

Yesterday's lunch ride amongst heat wavylines, crick crick noises, and lizard hopping rocks wiped me out. And I was just plain useless today. I could barely turn over the pedals.


The roads were so hot I think I was the only cyclist I saw today. I didn't even see Lula.

I stopped at Chesbro reservoir because the water looked so twinkly cool and inviting. I was thinking I would put my feet in the water and take down the core temperature. I took off my shoes and walked to the end of a little pier thingie, but I just couldn't put my feet in that stuff. It was all fishy smelling and had various green slimy things floating about. I don't know how you triathlete types swim in these things. I remember swimming in Calero in my wilder days, but I was drunk then and didn't know better or something.

So I hopped (hopped is actually far too energetic a word) back on my bike and up and over Willow.

I was cruising down Willow, safely on my side of the road, when quite suddenly around the corner a large gravel truck was heading straight for me. He was half way across the line onto my side. Fortunately I usually descend rather cautiously and today was even more sluggish than normal. I had enough time and control to skirt to the side and out of his way.

Still, seeing that big grill suddenly appear in front of me was a little bit of a shock.

And I couldn't help but think of those Special Eds that almost hit me that day. If they almost hit me and I was a mere foot or two from the fog line, then someone surely would have been reduced to bug juice on that truck's grill. As nasty as one or some of those guys were in their cowardly comments, I would never wish that kind of demise on anyone. Maybe if I were 71% ee-vyl like someone else I know.....

So be safe and best to ride assuming that something is headed towards you on the other side. Thats all.

Safe and sound and heading back into town, I noticed that my temp monitor read 105. At just about the same time I saw the Starbucks. And I know I made fun of Doug when he talked about the Banana Caramel Frappacinos...but damn if that just did not sound like the best thing in the world at that time.

So, I confess, I not only patronized a Starbucks, but I bought one of the most ridiculous drinks ever.

And it was gooood.

And I'm afraid I might want another one tomorrow.

I wonder what Lula's doing right now?

8 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, June 22, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

Lula's funnier than Gully.

 
At 4:37 PM, June 22, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

and Wells

 
At 4:55 PM, June 22, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

i'm just going to do 8am races and screw the heat acclimation

it's only 4 months until the snoparks open

 
At 5:12 PM, June 22, 2006, Blogger tinkerbella said...

what's the temp and humidity out there in norcal?

 
At 5:20 PM, June 22, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

just over 100
and probably like 0%

 
At 6:13 PM, June 22, 2006, Blogger Lula-La Lula-Hula said...

Well, for those of you wondering....
Lula is HAPPY :) at home, with legs up and airconditioning on ... hehehe ...

Yesterday, around 2PM, I went to HWY 9 for some hill reps squeezed in a 3.5hrs ride that took me about 4.5hrs - flats -hate them....
And, honestly, the air was soooo bad that I almost turned around once I hit the bottom of the hill. The only thing that made me keep going was the fact that Christine (webcor) was descending the hill. Since I wanna be strong like her, there I went....

Today, I had so much going on, including changing my tires and tubes for new ones, that I didn't ride at all...will go in about half/hour.

Thanks for thinking of me :)

 
At 10:53 AM, June 23, 2006, Blogger marscat said...

why am i craving a fried egg?

 
At 11:07 AM, June 23, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

do not eat results of this trick

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>