Monday, July 17, 2006

Frog legged dreams


While in Pennsylvania, we were hopelessly without tour coverage.

Our internet access was spotty and OLN was nowhere to be found.

So, after finally arriving home yesterday afternoon, Michael and I parked ourselves in front of the tube to get a much needed dose of tour coverage.

And in a flash, I saw it.
I couldn't believe my eyes.

It was Landis, on the podium, from back when he had the yellow jersey.

I am all excited that Landis is doing so well. Firstly, because he was my pick, and when he does well I can be all smug and know-it-allish about it. But secondly and almost as importantly, because I like when he gets all SoCal Inland Empire up on the hallowed TdF podium.

Except this shot of him that I saw on the podium was more Robin Hood, than In the Hood.

There was Landis, with cap askew, JLo Glasses flying huge like, sparse why-bother goatee just a sparkling away....but down below...under the yellow jersey...Flandis was wearing

ewww....shudder...


green tights.

Green and tight.

And so this morning, so that I could blog about the green and tightyness of it all, I searched for a photo. I searched and searched and while I found plenty of photos of Landis on the podium, I could find none that showed him frog legged.

I am hoping that this lack of photographic evidence means it was just a bad dream induced by too much airport food and jet lag?

16 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

his publicist probably had all photographic evidence burned...

 
At 1:23 PM, July 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's gotta be the airplane food...ack!

 
At 1:26 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Green tights are BAD. Trust me, I know this from personal experience. Even worse when matched with pink jerseys. I think my publicist burned all that evidence too!

 
At 1:50 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

airport food--that's worse than warm beer on a hot day...

 
At 2:20 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

Just thank the stretchypant gods he didn't earn the red polkadot jersy to make him the gnome of the tour. Ha... that would be funny, someone needs to photoshop that.
Welcome back, isn't it beautiful here?

 
At 3:25 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

his stretchy pants ... they did not look expensive.

but ... FLandis has got a package, by god.

or do you think it's performance enhancing?


damn that enzyte tune...

 
At 3:40 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

Pro?

Maybe if you are Peter Pan.

And yes, it is beeeuuuutiful here. I had just about enough of humidity, stumpy trees, and ridiculous liquor laws.

 
At 4:09 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

do they only hold masters natz where there's silly liquor laws?

utah was quite silly
what are the rules in PA?

 
At 4:14 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

Alcohol can generally only be purchased at a state sponsored liquor store. The closest one to where we were staying was about 45 minutes away and they have weird open hours.

You can also buy beer from a distributor, but then it has to be in large quantities. In order to avoid the long drive, I found a "distributor" in our area. After going down a flight of stairs and ringing the doorbell in an alley, I bought a case of some local microbrew.

I thought a case was a ridiculous amount for Monica and Michael (I was thirsty for wine). But turns out it was not too much after all.

You can also buy wine from a winery tasting room. And so I found one in our neighborhood. It was the most godawful wine I have ever tasted. I bought four bottles.

 
At 4:25 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

yup, sounds just like utah...

 
At 4:40 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

these arcane liquor laws are dumb

either you can buy booze or not. State stores, dry Sundays, silly membership rules, just add ...silliness.

for instance, in this case, they resulted in me buying (and us indulging) in more beer/wine than we would have

I'm not sure thats what the Lutherans (or whomever is the force behind this stuff in PA) had in mind.

burp

 
At 5:14 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger EB said...

Creates more people who can make money off it and it keeps the moral fanatics satisfied. In the first respect it's similar to Oregon's pump monkeys, but at least every now & then you get a cute pump monkey...

"We're men, we're men in tights (tight tights!)"

 
At 7:18 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger ginmtb said...

TWW's undercover agents have managed to dig up the photo of Floyd. Caution, be afraid, be very afraid:

Oh the Humanity!

 
At 7:36 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

Oh and Kansas, dry state too. Flying over Kansas one year, I heard them taking away the fortified adult drinks. This is true, but I was 14 and things might be different now.

Green tights were bad enough. I hope they don't give Floyd yellow tights if it comes to that.

 
At 6:48 AM, July 18, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

and even though they pump the gas for you in OR, they still limit how much you can charge at a time......

 
At 11:46 AM, July 18, 2006, Blogger marscat said...

i think the most ridiculous concept is drive-thru liquor stores

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>