Thursday, December 13, 2007

Poofter of Light


I rode by the Thomas Kincade World Headquarters today.

God is a limited edition of 15,000.

It was pretty scary. I should have taken camphone pictures, but I felt all trespassy. And all the god stuff was freaking me out. I don't know why, because churches don't freak me out. Maybe its the mix of the corporate offices with the god stuff that was messing with me. Maybe its all that use of surreal pastel.

Whatever it was, it made me glad that I work at a motocross company.

But you gotta give old Thomas some props. He is an artist (yes, I know we could argue that point) that got rich before he died of alcoholism and without relying on tshirt and watch sales to do it. Of course, there is still time for him to wreck his life with drink I suppose.

But anyhoo, Kincade bashing is too easy and not really the point. The point really was, that no one here in my office has ever seen the Kincade World Headquarters. They've also never seen the quarries that are now cute little lakes, or the turtles that live in the mud at the reservoirs, or the little old ladies that plant the flowers along some sidewalks, or the big hippo sculptures, or the bobcat that is always hanging around the model airplane field. And they've lived in Morgan Hill all their lives.

After I described the creepy world headquarters, my coworker said, "you sure see a lot of stuff while on your bike, don't you?"

Yep.

11 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, December 13, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

i've even see the trees grow

 
At 10:43 PM, December 13, 2007, Blogger beth bikes! said...

sometimes, if you're real lucky, you get to leave some of yourself on the concrete too. (its like, totally zen.)

 
At 10:23 AM, December 14, 2007, Blogger yellowbug said...

Ok I am just gonna have to say that the Kinkade stuff is super creepy, when I pass his little art kiosk stuff at the mall I just can't imagine who buys that stuff and puts those wierd little pictures in bathroom, hallway, bedroom, living room, etc. I can only imagine what art historians might think about our taste 500 hundred years from now.

 
At 12:04 PM, December 14, 2007, Blogger jen said...

poofter of light? Bahahahaha!

there's a woman that runs along the same road every day at the same time. it's funny knowing that kind of thing.

 
At 2:41 PM, December 14, 2007, Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

Lots of neat things when you get off the freeways and travel at the measured pace. Love it.

And as to what art historians will think in 500 years, I am leaning towards the world being like that in 'Idiocracy' in 500 years, so folks will have no real analytic thought processes and Kincade will be bland, not as good as 'Auto Theft 4' as art.

 
At 2:41 PM, December 14, 2007, Blogger erein said...

He pee'd on Winnie the Pooh. That's just wrong. :/

 
At 3:56 PM, December 14, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

He also yelled "codpiece!!" at Siegfried and Roy.

thats just weird

 
At 4:06 PM, December 14, 2007, Blogger jen said...

codpiece?!

that is bizarre.

 
At 4:22 PM, December 14, 2007, Blogger ~ lauren said...

yeah, but aren't Siegfried and Roy those weird guys with big hair who do the lion act in vegas?

or are they the pantomime couple?

i'm all confused.

but, codpiece and peeing on winnie the poo is a bit odd.

 
At 7:49 PM, December 14, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

codpiece

what a funny word

cod piece

I had to ask Michael what it was and he wouldn't tell me but he said he wanted one for christmas

 
At 12:58 PM, December 16, 2007, Blogger erein said...

Pieces of cod. Fish for Christmas. Fishmas...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>