Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Drunken Yams


I lost the actual recipe to this long ago. Since i make it by taste now, I have no idea of the quantities of ingredients. All I know is I love me some drunken yams.

Ingredients -

Yams - peeled and quartered into big bite sized chunks
Orange Marmalade - the gross kind with the peels and stuff in the jam
Fresh Squeezed orange juice - fresh. Not the nasty orange juice that comes in a milk carton. You need the orange bits for this recipe.
Mace, Allspice, Nutmeg, ginger - I think those are the names of them. All those pumpkin pie, eggnog kind of spices. I just go digging around my mom's cabinets and smell the spices to pick them out.
Butter - any dish worth eating has butter. For you vegan people, pick your favorite butter replacement.
Dark Rum - Cuban rum is best because its naughty, but Myers will do as well. If you really really can't use rum (then why even read this)you will need to add some amount of brown sugar instead.
Marshmallows - please don't!! I'm not sure who first starting putting marshmallows in yams and calling it a dish, but please don't.
Optional:
Pecans, Walnuts or sunflower seeds



Put Yams, 2-3 tablespoons butter, about 3-4 tablespoons marmalade, juice from 2-3 oranges (and if you are feeling it, grate a bit of the peel in as well)and about a cup (or more!!) of dark rum into a casserole dish. Cover and bake at some moderate temperature (maybe 375?) for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and stir. Add mace, allspice, ginger etc to taste. Add more juice, marmalade, etc to taste if needed. Dish will sweeten up considerably at end.

Cover and put back in oven until yams are almost done (about one hour, you can also do all of this in a microwave for about 30 minutes)

Uncover, stir, add nuts, maybe reseason one more time, definately add more rum. Put back in oven UNCOVERED for another 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and put on high heat on stove. Uncover and stir until sauce carmalizes into yummy goodness all over the yams.

Serve with a really big spoon.

We enjoyed ours with a yummy Tempranillo from the Hootch.

And Laura, I don't think we saved you any.

13 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, December 26, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

hurray for a woman who understands that marshmallows are for s'mores and s'mores alone.

 
At 5:37 PM, December 26, 2007, Blogger marscat said...

my ma makes a similar dish...minus the rum

and that wine from yesterday (all gone) was delish!

 
At 5:40 PM, December 26, 2007, Blogger marscat said...

not both bottles, that is...of course

 
At 5:46 PM, December 26, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

i vote for rum and brown sugar

 
At 8:20 AM, December 27, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:24 AM, December 27, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

Yummy yams, now I want some of those...by the way, you can make mojitos with the leftover dark rum...some mojito recipes use both dark & light rum

 
At 8:24 AM, December 27, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:26 AM, December 27, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

sorry those deleted were me...blogger did a double...

 
At 8:28 AM, December 27, 2007, Blogger Ron Castia said...

That's the best way to cook.
A dash of this, and smidgen of that...perfect measurements.

 
At 8:38 AM, December 27, 2007, Blogger ~ lauren said...

i yam what i yam.

 
At 12:31 PM, December 27, 2007, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

This recipe violates the more than two recipe rule I have, there are more than two ingredients and more than two steps.

I am going back to the National Geographic Channel to get my recipes.

mix yams(taro root) with coconut milk and heat under hot rocks for hours. (I really did make this at home but used an oven instead of the hot rocks)

So I don't think this lets you off the hook of making me a special batch of drunk yams. I'm primitive I tell you and this recipe is way too civilized for me to try at home.

 
At 5:21 PM, December 27, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

i bet morgan would like drunk yams

 
At 1:59 PM, January 03, 2008, Blogger kbehroozi said...

I make this too, but with bourbon. All other ingredients are the same, and I share your distaste for the fluffy white things, which only belong on sticks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>