Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Another day



Its days like these that I am grateful for my bike and my ability to ride it.

A good perspective check kind of day. Nothing deep or inspiring. Just a good plunk on the head reminder of how outrageously fortunate I am.

I spent about 8 hours of today waiting around in a hospital.

I hate hospitals and I hate waiting.

But somewhere in the middle of the day I was able to sneak out and roll around the (monterey) peninsula on a day that was either a freakish weather occurance or a sure sign of the beginning of the end. In either case, it was gorgeous.

And I made certain to stop at all the vistas and stare at the views with the tourists, even though I had seen these vistas a thousand times and stayed longer than the tourists.

And I threw caution to the wind on the downhill.

I watched kids play in the beach and smelled the greasy loveliness of a beachside burger stand.

I studied the harbor seals and their perfection of the art of laziness.

I went the wrong way down a one way street.

I climbed the hill I hate to climb and hit it out of the saddle at the top just to thumb my nose at it a little.

And checked out the vista once more.

16 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, July 17, 2007, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

that sounds about right

 
At 11:23 PM, July 17, 2007, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

oh, today, huh?

I hope it all went well.

GOOD THOUGHTS!!

 
At 11:26 PM, July 17, 2007, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

um, i clickety clicked that first pic....

is that a nun standing out in the water?

 
At 7:31 AM, July 18, 2007, Blogger Steve Anderson said...

good to see you were in da hood during the nice weather.
FYI...the last SMR was cool, cloudy, and wet.

 
At 7:45 AM, July 18, 2007, Blogger marscat said...

best wishes to your ma.

after visiting my auntie i did the same thing...must appreciate all that we have.

 
At 8:05 AM, July 18, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

Hope all went well.

 
At 8:57 AM, July 18, 2007, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

the end is indeed near....it's raining on the sf peninsula today! how bizarre is that? in july!

hope all went well yesterday.

 
At 9:42 AM, July 18, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

by the way, why are there so many people out and about in the middle of a weekday? Doesn't anyone work?

I need to get off of the peninsula before this weekend though. Its the Superbike Moto thingie, Salinas Rodeo, and the Carmel Bach Festival and this place is gonna be out of control. Especially with all those rowdy Bach fans.

 
At 9:50 AM, July 18, 2007, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

Superbike....

That explains why the nun is there...

 
At 9:53 AM, July 18, 2007, Blogger ~ lauren said...

hope all went well at the hospital.

it's good to have perspective. you seem to have some really good perspective no matter what's going on.

 
At 9:59 AM, July 18, 2007, Blogger Little_Jewford said...

It was a freak occurrence .. riding in today it started sunny at Ft. Ord but totally socked in when you hit the coast.

The upside? I passed the gathering of the "Red Bull Girls" getting ready for the weekend...several were on scooters, that would have been some fun motorpacing...

you rolled right by my office..should have stopped in, a mother otter has been scooting around with her pup (insert collective "awwwwww" here)

LJ

 
At 10:02 AM, July 18, 2007, Blogger EB said...

Good vibes beaming out...

I would totally live in Monterey if I thought I could find a job. Or if I won the lottery. Or learned to fish.

 
At 10:23 AM, July 18, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

elfie - If the MP looked like this everyday, I would never have moved. But after about 25 years, that damn fog finally cracked me. I just couldn't take living in gray all summer anymore...

stevie - the Marine lab? gaddam sea otter pups. We used to hear the orphans (or the unlucky twin) at the aquarium screeching down the hallways. Eeeeeeeeeek! eeeeeeeeeeeeek! cutest little things ever.

lauren - the booze helps

 
At 10:31 AM, July 18, 2007, Blogger chatterbox said...

vb - those photos look like Hawaii, not Monterey. Sending you good thoughts.

 
At 3:10 PM, July 18, 2007, Blogger Little_Jewford said...

up...the hopkins marine lab...stop by the next time you role by

 
At 7:28 PM, July 18, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

i think it's a pengy, not a nun

or maybe it's an orca

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>