Sunday, March 11, 2007

Wild Nights at the Dukes Hotet


Ever since I moved into my funky big house in the redwoods, I have had company of some sort.

I've had three great roommates as well as the occasional "just need a place to stay for a few weeks" folks, and of course, host housing for whatever, and then of course, there is my honey who I can't stand to be apart from all day at work, let alone a full night.

I have a house that is waaaay to big for me. I have no idea what I was thinking when I bought it. But I love that I can open it to my friends. I love the silly name accidentally given to it when Ali and Jeni painted a sign for me and sort of messed up on the spelling.

But my roommate moved out last weekend, Brent and Jen flew up to Bend to do a walkthrough on their house, and my Michael is away at a stage race.

At some point yesterday during the drive home from the races (maybe in the 5 minutes that we weren't talking about food) I realized that for the first time, in a long time, I would have the Dukes Hotet to myself. (Well, me and the Emmas)

Wow.

All to myself.

What to do about that?


I could make a pot of tea, gather up the cats and a fuzzy blanket, and read in the comforting quiet of the living room.

I could find a real funky red and color my hair and walk around the house with hair dye and a green avocado mask and then maybe even take a long bath.

I could rearrange all the furniture in the living room and build something from Ikea.

I could pull out the chocolate cookbook and pick something decadent to make and make it and serve it to myself with a luscious little port. And then write naughty poetry.

I could pop in the Napolean Dynamite video, pull back the rug and replay the dance scene over and over until I memorized all the moves.

All kinds of things to do when alone.

A night of luxury.


....Instead, I was asleep by 8:00

11 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, March 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's one of those days...

 
At 7:10 PM, March 11, 2007, Blogger marscat said...

both emmas?

 
At 7:28 PM, March 11, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

Brent and Jen's Emma and our Emma.

Their cat is named Emma also. But she doesn't much care for our Emma.

 
At 8:11 PM, March 11, 2007, Blogger ~ lauren said...

Napoleon Dynamite: Do the chickens have large talons?

Farmer: Do they have what?

Napoleon Dynamite: Large talons.

Farmer: I don't understand a word you just said.

 
At 8:46 PM, March 11, 2007, Blogger russellp said...

You got the jump on daylight savings time...

I thought your demon cat's name was Kiki?

 
At 8:54 PM, March 11, 2007, Blogger EB said...

That sounds like a very luxurious night to me.

 
At 9:01 PM, March 11, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

Russel, your question made me realize that we all know entirely too much about each other

~her name is Emma, but we call her kiki

And it was fun cheering with you.

 
At 9:03 PM, March 11, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

That farmer had a hat on of a contruction/materials company I used to work for

you have to watch a movie a lot to catch those details

 
At 8:47 AM, March 12, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

8pm...hee hee...

 
At 11:42 AM, March 12, 2007, Blogger Chris said...

That is probably the same thing I would have done. Sometimes a big long sleep is better than anything there is.

 
At 9:51 PM, March 12, 2007, Blogger nicknameless said...

LOL...I misssssss ze Dukes Hotet!!!

Sleep is priceless. I would trade you for the extra sleep right now...oyyy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>