Monday, December 04, 2006

Down at the Watering Hole


They say it takes 21 days to break a habit.

Thats rubbish.

It takes one.

The day you decide (and I mean really decide) that you want to change.

~~

So...on my ride today, I noticed that the little catch pond down by the reservoir, is almost dry. Only last week it still had some water in it, it seemed. Intrigued, I pulled over to have a look.

The little spoon shaped valley was indeed bone dry....with the exception of some water, no bigger than 40 feet long and a few feet wide, that contained brown churning murky water. The water was churning because it was full of fish. Fish that before had a whole little valley to swim in, were now smooshed together and flopping all over each other.

The scene reminded me of that documentary...about some African watering hole during a drought. And all the crocodiles fight for the last bit of murk, and the fish burrow down in the mud, and lions and antelope are so overcome with thirst, that they drink side by side.

Desperate acts of survival.

There was a family there, taking advantage of the easy pluckings. They only had to dip their nets in the water, swirl them around a few times, and out would come a small handful of fish. The fish were plucked quickly and expertly from their nets and tossed into buckets on the shore.

I have no idea what kind of fish they were. They were big and finny and floppy.

And smart.

As far as fish go anyway. There was this one part of the mudhole that was thicksticky muddy, and the fishing family couldn't walk on it. The fish were all gathered in this area, practically on top of each other, so they could be out of reach of the nets.



Yet, waiting for the family to leave, in a safe viewing distance, was a small flock of seagulls and about a dozen egrets and herons. The muddy shore would not be a problem for them.

And so, with shrinking water, and predators literally lining the shore, waiting their turn...the little fish gathered and gulped. It all seemed so horribly hopeless.

And I found myself wishing for rain to come soon....

......Except not on Friday and Saturday and not during my lunch ride.

18 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, December 04, 2006, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

Hey but were there any good receipes I can steal from that documentary? Like fishcakes or something? My criteria is receipes have to have no more than two ingredients. (Like Lap Lap pie from Island Vanuatu)

I think it you should take your breaks in front of a good coffee house. On the flip side the other morning I saw the most beautifully decorated white egret tree. There were at least 10 of them on one tree. They were having their seasonal feast in front of Goat Trail Pond and I was happy for them...

It was 75 degrees here yesterday. Those fishies paid for my four hour ride and I appreciate their sacrifice.

 
At 8:05 PM, December 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awe that's the saddest little post...so you've become a vegan?

 
At 8:05 PM, December 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awe that's the saddest little post...so you've become a vegan?

 
At 8:06 PM, December 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awe that's the saddest little post...so you've become a vegan?

 
At 8:10 PM, December 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

crikey! i can't delete them.

 
At 8:33 PM, December 04, 2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

marscat cracks me up

 
At 8:35 PM, December 04, 2006, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

nature can be cruel...

 
At 8:45 PM, December 04, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

Marscat....you been doing margarita intervals?

So, while pedaling on the way back to work after that, I got stuck behind a truck with a goat tied in the back.

It was the cutest little goat. One those long floppy eared kind. And he had a silly dog like look on his (her?) face as he stuck his nose out into the wind.

Awwww, I thought, how cute.

Then I realized, that this goat was probably on its way to becoming birria.

And between my sympathy for the goat and the fishes...I wondered how I could eat meat.

Then I remembered the kobe hamburger at Firestone Brewery.

baaaaah.

 
At 8:46 PM, December 04, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

vb ... so bad.


so bad.



so sexy.

 
At 8:47 PM, December 04, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

It will only be sad if it really does rain on Friday and Saturday.

 
At 9:09 PM, December 04, 2006, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

wow. that's really sad?

 
At 11:42 AM, December 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah it is sad for the goat and the fish, but I heart meat! And if I was richer I would eat only grass-fed, free-range, no chemicals meat, and I do when I can, but I am a poor college student who needs her iron!

And marscat, either lay off all the margaritas, or invite me over to join you. I'll be done writing my paper around 3 am. You up for some margaritas then?

I need a glass of wine! And it's only 11:45 and I am 2 pages into my Durer paper!

 
At 11:59 AM, December 05, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

how come nobody is asking you which habit you broke?

 
At 1:32 PM, December 05, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

my thoughts exactly bunny???

 
At 3:11 PM, December 05, 2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

please say it isn't coffee...

 
At 3:43 PM, December 05, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

red wine?

that's why we're hearing a lot about margaritas....

 
At 4:10 PM, December 05, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

I gave up the coffee (on weekdays anyway) quite a few months ago.

And hell no it aint red wine.

As if.

 
At 7:20 PM, December 05, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

I'll have another slice of lap lap pie though...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>