Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Real quick..before he gets home

I came home a little early to make him a chocolate cake. Chocolate because its my...his favorite.

For me, this is more adventurous than any mountain bike ride.
and scarier.

Of course, I am not making it from scratch. I'm using Duncan Hines Extra Moist Chocolate. And, to make up for my non-scratchedness, I just poured tons of liquor into the batter. I couldn't figure out which would taste batter: rum, Grand Marnier, or Bonny Doon Framboise. So I dumped all three in there. Yum.

They really need to write the instructions on those cake boxes in a little more detail too. And some pictures too. Not pictures of an egg, because I know what an egg is, but pictures of what the thing should look like when you pour it into a pan. Because somehow, I was supposed to have enough for two 8 inch pans and I only had enough for one.

Either I poured waaaay too much in that one pan (how much does really liquored up chocolate cake rise anyway? They should tell us this on the box) or I tasted just a wee bit more than I thought I did.

And how do I know when its done? Something about a toothpick. I better go check.

12 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, November 21, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

cake update

so, I'm whipping up the frosting (which I am making from scratch thank you very much) and wondered how much time the cake had left.

oops. forgot to push the chick's beak which starts the timer.

So I am using the time I posted this . Damn I'm a crappy baker.

oh, and apparently cakes do rise quite a bit.

 
At 6:31 PM, November 21, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

good luck, take a pic for us when its done!

 
At 7:18 PM, November 21, 2006, Blogger EB said...

If it flows over the top you can say you made him a really really big cupcake...sprinkles will help with that.

 
At 7:53 PM, November 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you need to bake it longer then normal with all that alcohol in it, don't you?

 
At 8:20 PM, November 21, 2006, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

you should make your yammys too, I love those...hint.

I tried to make pad thai today and failed miserably, right from the get go...kind of like my first training day...too ambitious, I guess.

 
At 8:22 PM, November 21, 2006, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

oh and give Olaf a chocolatee kiss for me.

 
At 8:27 PM, November 21, 2006, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

put the toothpick in and pull it out. when it comes out clean (ie no cake sticking to it), the cake is done. oh, you posted this two hours ago, so if you haven't taken the cake out, I'm guessing it's done by now!

 
At 8:36 PM, November 21, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

we're having a few drinks before we actually try to eat it

right now, its sitting on the kitchen counter...it could quite possibly be the ugliest cake ever made.

he better love it.

 
At 7:27 AM, November 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you funny.

how can you pour that much booze in and come up short?


i think the booze went in the pie hole.

 
At 8:08 AM, November 22, 2006, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

pictures...of the cake...

 
At 8:17 AM, November 22, 2006, Blogger Frostbike said...

If the cake doesn't turn out, just go into the kitchen wearing nothing but your cooking apron. I guarantee he'll forget about the cake.

 
At 11:10 AM, November 22, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

yeah, but I wanted to do something I don't normally do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>