Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Late afternoon sputterings


I rode by some grass farms in Morgan Hill today. Field after field of grass. As I watched the workers water and groom the grass, I had to pause and think. What kind of society are we that we expend such resources and devote such land to grow something that is not food? (or drug in case you were confused by what grass exactly I was talking about)

While others starve or struggle through drought, famine, war...we grow lovely green grass that is of no nutritional value to anyone.

But then, I like having green grass and laying on it on a summer's day, and spreading a picnic blankie atop it, and running cross courses over it.

Ahh..what to do about it, except recognize how lucky I am that I live in a place where I can ride my bike past grass farms.

~~~

Jens Voight is on his way to winning the Tour of Germany.

Did anyone even know there was a tour of Germany? Well there is. Oh sure, it doesn't have all the romance, flourish, and drama of the tours of Italy, France and Spain. But, I bet all the stages started on time.

So anyway, Jensy's winning, which is cool.

~~~

Flandis is spending time at his home in Murrieta. And his neighbors are supportive. I found this article about it surprising. Not in any of the Flandis stuff, but that Murrieta has a population of 92,000 people? When did that happen? Last time I was there it was a sleepy little community just out of the reach of the inland empire smog. A mix of old horsey ranch houses and a few new communities.

I spent time there, during my wilder days, in a house straight out of Scarface. It belonged to the boyfriend of a friend of mine. Turns out this boyfriend was a con-man but we didn't know it at the time. Or maybe we did and didn't care? Whichever, thats beside the point.

Anyway, it was this huge ridiculously ostentatious house amongst other ostentatious houses, on a golf course (I wonder if they used Morgan Hill grass?) community. And everyone there drove around in little customized golf carts. Some looked like fire engines while others looked like Rolls Royces. Grown men would drive around the streets in these little toy cars. It was very silly. But thats not the point either.

And our (I say "our" because we all sort of lived there) neighbor was Barry Bonds. Barry had a house with these huge wrought iron gates. The gates were decorated with two large baseball diamonds each with a "B" in them. For you non baseball folks out there, Barry Bonds is a baseball player that has been accused of, and has steadfastly denied, using steroids. But of course, thats not my point either. Just coincidence. I assure you.

I have no idea what my point was. But that pic is an actual pic of Barry's house. Amazing what you can find with a proper google search.

~~~

Why does Jesse/Andy have two first names?

~~~

5 Comments:

At 9:08 PM, August 08, 2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

don't get me started on grass and lawns. They look nice and all, but the chemicals used to keep them that way are bad news. And the water used for the same could be better used in a million ways...

one of the happiest days of my life was the day I sold the lawnmower, never to own a lawn (or a mower) again.

alas, the doggies sure love to play on a nice lawn, though...

 
At 9:35 PM, August 08, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

but lawns make us happy

happy

 
At 6:51 AM, August 09, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

lawns make me itch

 
At 11:53 AM, August 09, 2006, Blogger EB said...

I often wonder why people need two lawns: front & back. There are plenty of more sustainable landscaping techniques for the just-for-looks front lawns that would at least help justify keeping the oft-used back lawns lush & green. Last year a town in AZ required no-water (i.e. rock & cactus) front yards to help alleviate their drought and no one was injured in the process.

 
At 12:20 PM, August 09, 2006, Blogger jAndy donka-donk said...

My dad made sure I had an alias when the FBI went looking for me, so he made my name Jesse Andrew and then called me andy.....

Little did he know the trouble it would cause me later when I tried to cash a check with Andy on it, so I had to start using that Jesse thing that is on my drivers license....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>