Monday, August 07, 2006

oh yeah, we were gonna do this



It seems like only yesterday that Heather was mentioning this race to me.

And at that time I was actually sort of, half assed, considering it.

But new job and new love took hold of my focus. And the usual trappings of life sped time along. And in the whirl of it all, I forgot all about that silly idea.

Still, it would have been fun. Anyone who has ridden with Heather and I knows that we could probably actually finish that thing. I can ride for hours and hours on my mtb at the same tough little pace and feel strong at the end and the next day. And still be in a good mood.

Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about wilderness stuff, or riding in the rockies, or what to pack in my camelback. I'm a fair weather rider at heart. Throw a tube, a mini multi-tool, and some gummi bears (and maybe some bubbles) in my pocket and I am good to go.

Thats where Heather comes in. She has those most excellent Canadian honed wilderness skills. Or at least appears to, to a softie like me.

She hikes, ice climbs (brrrrrr), finishes Iron Man, and generally does stuff besides ride her bike all the time. I'm quite certain she knows how to start a fire, and she probably knows how to get water out of the desert and make a coat out of deer hide too. She's saved me many a times with that well stocked camelback of hers.

Hell, her wacked out (in a good way) brother crossed the Empty Quarter for crying out loud, so there's something in those genes.

Besides, we don't even come close to getting on each other's nerves or anything when we ride. Even when Heather, errrr..I mean we, get lost.

Anyway, we could do this thing. I bet.

As long as no one gave Heather the map.

And I had enough gummi bears.

6 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

mmm...

propositioning pinkfishnets

 
At 5:04 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Brent said...

I always dreamt of doing that race.

I have had the itch for that one and Trans Alps.
I think a week in Yosemite by mtb bike is in my future. Oh.. or Canadian moutains...

did someone say gummi bears?

 
At 6:13 PM, August 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, beautiful picture - the one looking up in the sky...

 
At 8:14 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger ginmtb said...

Yeah, and the landscape isn't too bad either...

 
At 8:41 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Reed Maxwell said...

You should go. Everyone should ride there once in their life. Fuel up at the Blue Touk and rock those trails! Some of us are so lucky we've ridden there twice...

Fernie absolutely rules.

 
At 1:46 PM, August 08, 2006, Blogger Brent said...

MORE POSTS< LESS WORK!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>