Thursday, February 02, 2006

Life in the OC

How come when someone asks to use something, they say "borrow" when they don't really mean it.

Like just now, some IT consultant guy, saw me pouring (and I mean pouring) my half and half into my oatmeal. He asked me, "Oh! Can I borrow some of that half and half?"

Borrow? Are you going to use it and return it?

Because if you are not, lets just be honest and say "have". Can I HAVE some of that half and half.

Of course, when I sassily asked this of the IT guy, he just looked at me and then gave a nervous gawky giggle and ran away. It must be hard to be an IT guy at a company where management meetings look like an episode of MTV's Real World.

See, yesterday was my first management meeting. They forgot to tell me about it. Otherwise I might have been better prepared for it. By better prepared I mean, by wearing Fox clothing. Or at least something slightly cooler than what I had on yesterday.

Yesterday, for reasons only known to me, I wore a pair of mismatched neon green cycling socks that are dubbed "Alien Peace". While they are sentimental, they are the furthest thing from cool. And of course, in this meeting, there was lots of cool. Especially from the marketing and design team that came up from Newport Beach. You know, OC? These guys were very OC. A gander around the room revealed beanies, and walking shorts, and westerny barely unbuttoned casual shirts, and prescrition Fox eyewear, and I even spotted a few metrosexually pedicured feet in flip flops. All with that sense of "I put a lot of thought into dressing as if I don't put a lot of thought into it".

I simply don't put a lot of thought into it. Especially when I wake up 7 minutes before I need to leave and its more important to think about what I need to wear for my lunch ride.

So there I was in my green Danskos and my neon green mismatched Alien Peace socks. "Hi everyone, meet the new CPA", exclaimed one of owners as if to explain the ripple my fashion awkwardness caused in their sea of cool.

Sigh

Well at least I have the IT guys to pick on.

24 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

as i packed the ruck-sac this morn,

i was struck by the forlorn

pair of dark pants,
pale shirt,
and screaming white under layer.

i looked ready for a funeral.

a cheap one.
~

No OC promotion for me.

 
At 1:11 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

and have you always had mismatched socks or is that something you picked up from mr.forlorn-funeral-clothes-boy?

just wear the fez next time

and i hate to repeat myself constantly, but with some glitter

 
At 1:18 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

Awww, you guys are feeling a little out of tune with the rest of the world? A little fashion un-conscious?

Better let PAB help you out!

 
At 1:19 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

BTW, what is OC???

 
At 2:59 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger nicknameless said...

OMG..thx for making me giggle!! I needed that.

Danskos aren't cool???? ;)

 
At 4:31 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I have the exact opposite at my work.

the median age here is 52, so I have to dress "Old"

I wore a ladies corduroy jacket with a nice sparkley broche, matching lace top and black slacks. And my hair all nice and neat.

I look 52

 
At 4:45 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

green Danskos are.

And today, so are red ones.

 
At 4:46 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

I'm glad you included a picture of the broche as I wasnt sure what one was.

My mom has lots of those.

 
At 4:47 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

and bunny, you can guess where the mismatched socks come from.

Funny how much care he takes in matching these mismatches though.

 
At 4:58 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

goofball style ... it's still a form of style, yes?

 
At 5:02 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

yes-your mom and I would get along, i'm starting to acquire a colection myself. even though, I'm well under 52.

those here getting ready to retire keep giving them to me.

i like ov's goofball style, if that's what you call it?

 
At 5:03 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

but i think i like vb's style better

 
At 5:41 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

does he spend a lot of time matching the t-shirts too?

 
At 5:46 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

white goes with everything ... doesn't it?

and VeloPromo shirts go with ANYthing.

 
At 5:47 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger ginmtb said...

First pab doesn't know the Sheena Easton song, Morning Train and now he doesn't now what OC stands for? Oh the humanity!

 
At 6:52 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

Well out of this bunch, I am so so OC at work. The style police are so mesmerized by my togs they actually reach out and touch sometimes. They also copy me all the time. Like the other day, I noticed someone was starting to wear hats everyday...then another suspiciously had on monkey socks and another boasted a hello kitty handbag. Yes, I am definetly OC at my elementary school.

 
At 7:14 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

oh..it gets worse.

Just now, during an image search for the other sock in the "set", I discovered that the other sock glows in the dark.

oy.

 
At 7:34 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger Little_Jewford said...

hmmm...according to my better half you've got uber style ... and she doesnt say that about many people.

also...I'm not sure so-cal anti-style style is something to strive for

 
At 8:22 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

okay..I am going to kiss your better half.

Agree on the striving. I mean, look at that hat on this post for crying out loud.

 
At 6:55 AM, February 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

half-n-half is fattening and not good for you.

 
At 8:48 AM, February 03, 2006, Blogger nicknameless said...

that just figures for Jed...

 
At 8:50 AM, February 03, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

talk about getting a sermon from the devil

 
At 8:51 AM, February 03, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

Hey nick

RU at home?

please tell me you are and that the net is working now

 
At 9:23 AM, February 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

make my a double-double animal style.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>