Friday, August 31, 2007

Points Schmoints


Despite my best lazy intentions, I headed out to the track for another points race sufferfest last night. Thank you to Matt for keeping it going while Larry is at Master Nationals by the way.

So far, I have done 4 points races, each race with 7 opportunities to score points to the first 4 riders. I am going to go grab my ten key and figure something out...just a sec...

(crunch, crunch, crunch)

112

In the points races I have done so far, I had 112 chances to score some points. So, guess how many points I have scored in my illustrious points racing career?


(crunch, crunch, crunch)

0

I am batting 0/112.

But I am having so much fun, that I am going to take improvement where I can:

I can now sit up and air out my chamois region without forgetting to pedal.
I can ride in the narrow area between the grass and the official stand without freaking out.
I found the angle at which I can fill up my waterbottle from the little fountain in the track.
I can stop my bike without doing the Fred Flintstone thing.
I made it through a race without spazzing and yelling "whoah!" at anyone.

I did have a schlepping setback however. I was doing so well on being able to schlep all my stuff from the car to the track in one trip, but last night I forgot my bike shoes and towel at the track. So next week I will refocus on my schlepping skills.

I have improved so much, that last night Beth was trying to talk me into racing States next weekend.

Beth: "You should race States next weekend"
Me: "Really? I don't know...."
Beth: "Yes, you should totally do it. We need more slow people out there"
Me: "Okay"

I want to help Beth find more slow people. So, I have been convincing my friends and teammates to come out to Saturday sessions. Except I am a little more diplomatic than Beth, so I don't actually tell them to their face that they should come because they are slow. I tell them to come because its FUN!

The last Saturday we went, we had 4 bellas. We practiced the team pursuit. We were awesome...after a few tries anyway. This Saturday we will have, just a sec.....

(crunch, crunch, crunch)

7 bellas there! I expect some mayhem and lots of giggles. Oh, and Quad measurements.

19 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, August 31, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

I tell them to come because its FUN!

...I have been duped...I once invited a 60 year old to race Wente RR with me for the same reason...

 
At 2:16 PM, August 31, 2007, Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

VB - is that the Sat. beginner session (only thing I see on the calendar for tomorrow)? If so, see you there; need to finish my third session so I can come out and go 0/112 myself. Besides, gotta break in the new track bike.

 
At 2:21 PM, August 31, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

rick - yep, thats the session! Bring your quads!

 
At 2:31 PM, August 31, 2007, Blogger Merkeley Bike said...

Ali and I will be there, ready for some fun.

We're looking forward to it.

 
At 2:48 PM, August 31, 2007, Blogger veloandvino said...

Size and points don't matter!!!!

Its the beer after:)

 
At 2:50 PM, August 31, 2007, Blogger Team TWENTY12 said...

Bella, please rally a quad for the team pursuit - you, beth, julie + ? you will have a blast. definately come for the experience. my first tournament last year was elite states/nats qualifiers (same weekend) it was so helpful for the following year - what to expect etc. + then we can hang out and i can find out how exactly Michael crashed - no one seems to know!
P.s - i meant rally a squad - that too!

 
At 2:52 PM, August 31, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

I like rally a quad...that's a funny...

 
At 5:17 PM, August 31, 2007, Blogger marscat said...

u's a silly one.

 
At 7:08 PM, August 31, 2007, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

I don't know how to feel about this,

Lillybella- the always "invited".

oh well...to my slow defense sometimes I just show up uninvited, will that put me in a fast group?

 
At 7:08 PM, August 31, 2007, Blogger Allison Krasnow said...

Mike and I will be there too.
Oh, I see he already said that.
Well, I say what he says,

 
At 7:43 PM, August 31, 2007, Blogger suenago said...

so, that has been your game all along, Sabine. I'll sign up to race again...I know I am slow!
Gordon has decided it is time to measure my quads. So, I am throwing my numbers into the ring: crunch,crunch, crunch
22.5 inches. (he measured his quads, to and mine are larger!)

 
At 9:52 PM, August 31, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

Sue, you have to measure in cm...thems the rules

 
At 1:05 AM, September 01, 2007, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

pab and olaf will be there....causin trouble.

 
At 5:23 AM, September 01, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

yea to seeing Pabcid and OV...

Sue's quad in inches is approx....oh my...57cm...

 
At 4:00 PM, September 01, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

fun day...and my quads are bigger now that I measured in the correct spot...48cm..

 
At 8:14 PM, September 01, 2007, Blogger beth bikes! said...

VB- when i said i wanted more slow people, i meant for you to roll up into santa cruz and find us some people riding beach cruisers. those are single speeds. i bet you and i could totally school them in the points race. especially if we make them ride flat pedals on their beach cruisers.

 
At 7:03 AM, September 04, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

if you're going to quote rules, at least use your own computer!!

 
At 1:01 PM, September 04, 2007, Blogger glennzgarage said...

That nice white towel I was going to schlep for cleaning rental bikes? Durn. I'll save it for ya. (We are not very organized about lost-and-found at the oval).

The "Fred Flinstone Thing" mental-visual cracked me up. May I borrow that as a title for juniors "getting-off-the-track-bike-lesson"? We also teach, "when in doubt, ride onto our nice new grass, THEN fall over!"

Being old school I sometimes need to check myself... Do kids these days know Fred? (i.e. they weren’t old enough to see that crossing wheels was like crossing energy beams in Ghostbusters… BAD things can happen!)

P.S. We also started a juniors drill for riding up to the fence, stopping with a hand hold, then riding away from the fence... the impetus being a comment blogged somewhere. As easy as riding a bike, eh? We sometimes take things for granted.

Bellas would be a good group to ask... how about some cool kids jokes? e.g. They are getting tired of "Hey, catch-up, tomato!".

Glad you are out enjoying the track a bit.

 
At 10:43 AM, September 06, 2007, Blogger BELLA BEAR said...

Yeah, I understand the Nats thing. Some people on my Cal team want to go the Cross Nats without ever racing before in Kansas City and want me to go too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>