Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Don't make me get all ben hur on yo ass


About a month ago I watched a Wednesday Night Track race. Ohhhweee it looked like a lot of fun. A lot more fun than sitting on the bleacher eating a burrito and taking pictures with a flash the size of a pen light.

That week I went out and bought a track bike. A cute (and cheap) little chrome pista.

All that chrome bling was just begging to be pimped. So Michael slapped some dope white walls on my ride and I headed out for a Saturday beginner session.

I needed to do one more Saturday in order to race on Wednesdays. Since I have decided to stop racing, I now have time to race.

We started Saturday out with a 30 lap paceline. Its a little disconcerting when you don't have brakes to let go and get close to the wheel in front. But after a bit I eased into it and as long as you are paying attention to the pace up ahead, as well as the wheel in front of you, its good.

Then we did whistle sprints. I had to sprint against 3 guys including a former football player. I learned that if I grunt and growl while sprinting I go faster. My standing sprint was decent, my sitting sprint was for shit. My sprintmates were nice and let me win sometimes. Not that we were racing or anything.

Then we did an 11 (normal is 3) person team sprint. What a cluster fuck that was. We didn't know what the hell we were doing. What a mess. What fun.

Then we did some other stuff that I can't totally remember. And then I did a really long cool down mostly because I didnt want to get off my bike. They had to practically kick me out of the velodrome. I couldn't wait until Wednesday.



And now its Wednesday and my little donk pista is in the car.

And I got the email for whats on tap for tonight's races and the first event is a chariot race.
Chariot?

I don't remember doing any of those on Saturday. And I am pretty sure I would have remembered something named after a gladiator thingie what with the recent men in skirts fascination.

So my first ever track race event will be a Chariot race. cool. Giddydamnup!

Oh, and don't laugh at me because I can't ride up to the boards yet.

14 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, August 08, 2007, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

Bring your camera, we'll need a follow up blog on these chariot races. (Just get a local pheasant from the collosium seats to take them)

 
At 3:10 PM, August 08, 2007, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

oops I mean peasant, not the birdies.

 
At 3:13 PM, August 08, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

pheasant was funnier

 
At 3:19 PM, August 08, 2007, Blogger marscat said...

phunny!

 
At 3:21 PM, August 08, 2007, Blogger marscat said...

and what's a "donk" pista?

 
At 3:31 PM, August 08, 2007, Blogger chatterbox said...

Have fun, fun, and more fun out there tonight! I can't wait to hear what the heck Chariot is....

 
At 4:18 PM, August 08, 2007, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

chariot races sound fun.

pheasant photos too.

 
At 4:31 PM, August 08, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

have fun...we should join you some wednesday...

 
At 6:23 PM, August 08, 2007, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

at least it isn't musical chairs!!!

have fun tonight.

 
At 6:31 PM, August 08, 2007, Blogger ~ lauren said...

you're probably out there right now, having fun! yay!

i like how you say, "since i have decided to stop racing, i now have time to race."

makes perfect sense.

 
At 6:34 PM, August 08, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

i think chariot racing gives you liberty to grunt as loud and often as you want.

 
At 9:24 PM, August 08, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

is it byoc?

 
At 10:42 PM, August 08, 2007, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

we had fun, there were grunts, i have pictures.

 
At 6:29 AM, September 13, 2007, Blogger gwadzilla said...

it must be Burning Man

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>