Sunday, August 05, 2007

Its Not Over till Sue Says Its Over








Ft. Ord Race Report, August 4








The invitations went out last week, Warrior Sue threatened to spank any of us if we dared DNF or DNS for her hometown race. With our leader going batty and our bunny playing doctor our sextuplet was down to a quad squad.
Sue was not letting any of us bail.

As soon as I arrived it became evident she not only succeeded getting us to the start she intimidated any other team from registering in our category. It was at the start line that our warrior’s master plan was unveiled...she planned an end of the season party for our own Kitty cat, Erika.

Yeah, don’t be fooled by how cute Sue is...
She made the soldiers stand to attention in mutual respect.



Grinning from ear to ear, we thought of endless possibilities we could do today. How often do you get to race with ONLY your teammates? How do we do this? I just couldn’t get my mind wrapped around it...this momentary celebration was squashed by the news there would be only 3 prizes...3 velo promo tees were in our 4 lap future. No worries being the Latina fashionista that I am, I mentally recorded an image of 3 cut up tees resewn to create 4. I may have to enlist the help of a bunny.


We entered the 30+ W event mainly because I am a lightweight and could not possibly handle 6 Heinekens of this race, Hennekens is Ft. Ord’s make or break climb that lasts 3- 4 minutes and after a few of them I just get woozy. Besides it was the only category we all could compete in together. I just couldn’t believe our luck you mean all other women were up for the 6 pak? Dang...that’s tolerance.

So...
how do you race when all your teammates are in the same cat? We discussed this at length, we could do all those things you wished you could do but were too afraid of the drop page factor.


Oh...with endless possibilities our quad squad began our list. Linda crossed the double line, with no screaming nor protests from our opponents. Erika wished for a pee break where she could read the daily paper and take her time pulling up her drawers. Sue wanted to call the winner by unsprinting, I brought my camera and perfected the technique of “non climbing” dedicated to the climbing challenged cyclists...imagine a race where you wouldn’t be dropped on the main climb, that was my wish.


I wish I could show you more pictures but I dropped my camera
and somehow after 3 Heinekens, the manual control went wacko...

But I got a picture of this lovely bum...

Guess whose?




Anyway as much fun as we wanted to have the weather was very uncooperative, the refs had no idea it was a Bella bash, and we spent most of the time getting whipped around by the headwinds pretending to race lest we get pulled from the event. With the early warning from the officials they would not wait all day for us, we figured we only had to NOT be the last cats out on the course. Thank God those 3’s had to do 6 laps, way to put it out there for the Bella quad squad, we barely managed to unsprint our finish when they rolled around for their final lap.

We did have one eventful inSUEdent (its not a race with Sue unless there is an incident.).
Her cosmic red target knee attracted a bee. While celebrating our victories, eating killer burgers and fries her knee just exploded in size. Sue is an anti doping activist and refused to get on the Velobella “medical program”, but with the three of us pinning her down, we managed to pop some benedryls into her mouth.

Check it out.

Oh and the doggies thank the kitty people for the killer burgers leftovers.

Happy End of The Season to Erika. You are an awesome teammate!

23 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, August 05, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

marscat said she would keep me company at patterson...but that's not a nice thing to do to your mate now is it?...sorry to say I had an awesome workout and was amazed at how much chitter chatter was going on when I was blasting my heart at 181 on the
17%ers...thank you for a lovely lunchy wunchy lilybella...and is suenago on for san ardo too...we'll do it with you in the 1,2,3s?

p.s. we got that head butt thnig down don't we...

 
At 1:57 PM, August 05, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

and you took a pic of your own bum?...

 
At 2:10 PM, August 05, 2007, Blogger marscat said...

oh what a fun post! i love that pic of us at the start...and i had so much fun with the lovely bellas i may have to do patterson, san ardo, Sueniversity...

and did you ever tell sue the benedryl was only 99cents not 5 dollah?

 
At 2:57 PM, August 05, 2007, Blogger EB said...

I was wondering what on earth was going on when I saw four bellas racing together, all smiling. First I thought, what a silly field to let FOUR teammates get into a break together! Then I thought, but they're all grinning and no one is that happy working in a break, even with four teammates...

 
At 2:58 PM, August 05, 2007, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

Hiccop-why do you think I kept trying to get a headstart after we compare HR on the first lap?

I want to see the profile...non climber course, indeed!

I love that pic too. Its a keeper. You crack me up you have a 25% chance of guessing the lovely bum and you picked the one with the camera...ha...ha

the Sueage will be gone for San Ardo, but Sueniversty sounds good, Patterson?! I did that once, and named it an OTO event. (one time only) Lin Lin is crazeee.

Marsy-sh...sh you know you're an accomplice right? I do remember someone NOT me cleanly removing the price tag...I told you I'd split it with you...

 
At 3:02 PM, August 05, 2007, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

BBelf- we invited you to our party!but you were busy chasing down all those Heinekens.

 
At 3:07 PM, August 05, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

at first I couldn't spot the little pink tires then marscat said that you'd have to have really long arms to get that far away angle...I keep trying to download the cool motion based topo gps thing but the garmin software said "too much data" how werid is that?

 
At 3:11 PM, August 05, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

unsprint?

 
At 3:17 PM, August 05, 2007, Blogger marscat said...

yeah you did tell me you'd split it with me...

still waiting

 
At 4:51 PM, August 05, 2007, Blogger X Bunny said...

damn, i'm going to have to work on my unsprints if i'm going to have any hopes of keeping up with you gals next year!!

 
At 6:02 PM, August 05, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

and the refs never pulled you for chatting?

 
At 7:46 PM, August 05, 2007, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

best race report ever!

 
At 7:48 PM, August 05, 2007, Blogger Velo Bella said...

That's Sue's bee safe bum

 
At 8:26 PM, August 05, 2007, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

T. Marie-we were very good at pretending when refs were around, what was funny was how preturbed some people were by us not racing each other, like its our fault our team won by forfeit. Some people will never get that team sport stuff.

Bun Bun- make sure you practice the unclimbing too, or you won't make it to unsprint.

Marsy- I'll give you your share at San Ardo.

Lin Lin & VB-SCORE! 5pts each

 
At 8:35 PM, August 05, 2007, Blogger jen said...

so funny!

 
At 8:37 PM, August 05, 2007, Blogger monk said...

Great report Lilly.

Sounds like you girls had a blast.
Was it really a bike race?

Sue - what is up with that knee?

 
At 9:38 PM, August 05, 2007, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

too fun!

that race always seems to come down to teamwork...

 
At 8:18 AM, August 06, 2007, Blogger EB said...

I couldn't hear any party invitations on that windy section, but I was thisclose to crashing it anyway, except that I wasn't sure what the real story was & didn't want to get anyone DQed. Not sure that what I was doing could be considered chasing at that point!

 
At 10:33 AM, August 06, 2007, Blogger suenago said...

Funnest race of the year by far! And, if anything is going to happen to me...it will involve my right side. The picture really doesn't do justice to the swelling on my right knee. I am at work with my leg propped on a cardboard box. How very professional.

 
At 11:02 AM, August 06, 2007, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

found a way to save the profile check it out at my bloggie

 
At 1:35 PM, August 06, 2007, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

sue, i really think it depends on what kind of box it is...

for instance, if it is one of those xerox paper boxes, i would think that would look very professional. sorta shows how much work you've gotten done.

so, what kind of box is it?

 
At 2:04 PM, August 06, 2007, Blogger marscat said...

sue, you're still swelling?

 
At 2:44 PM, August 06, 2007, Blogger suenago said...

It is indeed a Xerox paper box...how did you know?

No, the swelling hit its zenith yesterday and it is coming down today.

The perks of working at a hospital...I had a nurse check it out today and she pronounced me "o.k. to resume normal activities" YIPPEE.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>