Thursday, December 22, 2005

Just a bunch of kids on bikes


I love this sport.
This whole cycling thing.
And there's lots of reasons why.

Here's one.

There are many amazingly wonderful, unique, quirky, kooky, fantastic people that I have met through riding. And there is no way in the world, that without cycling, I would have ever met those people. Our lives, outside of cycling, are otherwise so different. Were it not for our love of pedaling on two wheels, our paths would have never crossed.

And so, my world of friends, is richer in texture, because I ride a bike.

~

Last night, I got to see my longtime riding bud, Kenny, play a short gig of his Basement 3 work. I have known Kenny for, oh...how long Kenny? 5 years? (Holy crap really?) And last night was the first time I have seen him, not as Kenny my crazy singlespeeding pal who makes me do silly things, but as Kenny the musician. The fiercely talented, complex, lyrical musician. What a treat.

I love meeting people on bikes. And for a time, knowing them simply as the person I ride bikes with. Like kids, playing, no need for formal introductions, just ride. And then, learning about who they are and what they do and what they think and what they dream.

And then to go back and ride bikes some more.

7 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, December 22, 2005, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

beautiful.

 
At 11:17 AM, December 22, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

you said it, VB. Every word and feeling most of us kids on bikes have.

 
At 11:34 AM, December 22, 2005, Blogger nicknameless said...

wow...couldn't have said it better.

What is it about two wheels that gathers such a unique crowd?

PS...I am soooo bummed I missed Kennys show. I was so late getting home from work last night I just couldn't get myself to go off mountain, and my laundry was about to get up and go to the show on it's own if I didn't wrestle it into the washer. I know...excuses...excuses

 
At 12:15 PM, December 22, 2005, Blogger X Bunny said...

another nod of agreement--totally

 
At 12:35 PM, December 22, 2005, Blogger ginmtb said...

What, no helmets?!!!

 
At 1:53 PM, December 22, 2005, Blogger X Bunny said...

i missed it!
that's supposed to be my line!

 
At 9:26 AM, December 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a really sweet post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>