Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Clown food


Jeez.

I really need to get more sleep. I've just upgraded my sleep deprivation to red alert status. I'm going to bed at 9:00 tonight for sure. Because I just scared the bejeezus out of myself.

You know how sometimes if you drive when you are really really tired, your eyes get all heavy and all you want to do is close them, just for a few milliseconds? Yeah? Well, I just did that on my bike. In the middle of my lunch ride. Crikers, in the middle of the road.

Ann kept me company on the way out and she chitty chatted the whole time, so I didn't notice anything funny. Then we went our seperate ways. I climbed up Bailey. I felt good and not at all tired (especially as I was catching the guy who had to pass me only to blow up 100 feet in front of me, not that I am competitive or anything)

But once I hit the quiet tweetybirdy countryside of Uvas canyon, I started to feel....a little mellow. I had a nice tailwind, there were no cars, the sun was sparkling off the reservoir. My new peppy cadence was the perfect afternoon metronome and I settled into a bit of a daydream. Just let my mind float wherever it wanted to.

And it wanted to float to bed.

Before I knew it, tranquility changed to daydream, and daydream changed to nigh nigh. My eyes were getting heavy. And in this sleep deprived state I somehow convinced myself that it wouldn't hurt to just close my eyes for a second. Just a second. One little second of eye closure would feel so good and it would just be a second.

....

......

.........

crunch crunch crunch...ACK!


Good thing the leaves in the shoulder are so loud and crunchy when you ride over them.

The scary thing is I really don't know how long I closed my eyes for. I am hoping it was just that second. But I don't really know.

Somebody SLAP me.

I did the wake up trick equivalent of rolling down the windows while driving 65: I launched into some sprints.

It worked. I'm wide awake now.


10 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, June 06, 2006, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

that is some wild lunch time ride, glad you are ok, thank god for sprints...

 
At 4:29 PM, June 06, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

you are in so much trouble

 
At 4:41 PM, June 06, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

oh goody

 
At 5:08 PM, June 06, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

glad you are ok

i would have been in trouble last week when we were riding with all the deer--i just couldn't concentrate to remember from one minute to the next to look out for them--luckily pab was there and on the lookout but i really had no business being on a bike

i think i wanted to say something else but now i can't remember

 
At 5:25 PM, June 06, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

good night?

 
At 6:30 PM, June 06, 2006, Blogger Chico Cyclist said...

Crazy!! I've done that a couple of times myself.....but it usually means I've run into massive-bonk status.

 
At 7:16 PM, June 06, 2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

I thought you were good at resting?

did you fib?

 
At 7:17 PM, June 06, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

nigh-nigh

 
At 8:19 PM, June 06, 2006, Blogger marscat said...

maybe bring your blanky next ride

 
At 8:39 PM, June 06, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

mmmm...a binky

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>