Friday, April 28, 2006

We Killed Big Bird


Last night I had the pleasant suprise of unexpected company. My good friends had just returned from a long trip to New Zealand. And they had lots of stories to share.

I could write a whole seperate blog on these two and how they arrange their lives so they can take 3-4+ month vacations doing things the rest of us just dream about...but thats for another day.

What I want to talk about today is one of their stories, the death of Big Bird.

Apparently, Big Bird did exist. He roamed the plains and forests of New Zealand (and a few other islands). New Zealand had no indigenous mammals (except for a couple of pesky bats) and so, many of the birds did not develop elaborate survival skills, such as uh...flying.

When some big hungry mammals finally did arrive on the island, Big Bird was unprepared. Evolution was too slow a process to save him from the fast footed Maori. And by the late 17th century, the last Big Bird died.

Damn. We killed Big Bird.

So whats this all mean? I dunno. But I can't help but think about our species' impact on this little planet. Extinction is a natural occurance, as is the warming and icing trends of this planet. But, falling meteors aside, these events usually happen over epochs, not centuries or even decades.

We humans are seriously freaking mother nature out.

And I think about it and feel bad.

And yet I will get into my car for my daily 40+ mile commute. And I'll turn the heat up to 68, and I'll eat beef, and I'll chop down the redwood tree that was blocking the sun, and I'll drive to the trail head to ride, and I'll drive to Santa Maria to race, and I'll type this blog.

hmmm...

7 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, April 28, 2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

i still want that chicken dish Dave made up.

 
At 2:36 PM, April 28, 2006, Blogger Little_Jewford said...

hmmm....at least we didnt eat big bird, unlike in Madagascar where we ate all the Giant Lemurs .... of course if we ever use the wonders of genetics to revive these beasts and they start going wild we'll already now how to handle them

 
At 2:48 PM, April 28, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

Oh, we ate Big Bird. With decadence. Bones of the bird were found near Maori cooking sites where only the best part of the bird was eaten and the rest of the carcass discarded.

Drumsticks I'm guessing.

 
At 4:08 PM, April 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Smith said in the Matrix "humans are not Mammals at all but a VIRUS"

He had good reason to that thinking if you ask me.

ms

 
At 11:49 PM, April 30, 2006, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

Lemurs are cool. Much cooler than birds.

PF, I like the way you think.

You too, McSass.

 
At 7:37 AM, May 02, 2006, Blogger X Bunny said...

penguins and coots
otherwise i'm not big on birds

 
At 11:09 PM, May 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>