Friday, April 14, 2006

Thoughts of dirt and beer

I tasted the dirt,

and it tasted like sheep poop.

But I think I want more anyway.



During my race at Sea Otter I saw a friendly face from the past. I haven't raced a season of mountain biking since 2002, and yet we chatted as if its only been months.


So that got me reminiscing about some fun times on the mtb race circuit. The road trips, seeing the same faces and friends at all the events, dying of heat, and freezing to death, racing alone with nothing but my thoughts and my breath, bonking on a climb, zipping down some singletrack, and lying in the sun and grass with a burger and a beer while waiting for awards.



I dig the road scene and all...but there's something about the suffering of a mountain bike race that gets me. Maybe because the suffering is interspersed with moments of bliss and fun.

Or maybe its the burgers and beer.

Whichever, I'm excited to try a few more mountain bike races this year. Who knows, maybe its just a phase and I'll grow out of it.

See you at Firestone!

7 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, April 14, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

We need to do a race that qualifies us for Mammoth.

 
At 12:54 PM, April 14, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

You mean NCS races?
Probably not.

 
At 2:28 PM, April 14, 2006, Blogger Reed Maxwell said...

VB, I really agree with you here. As miserable as the race was (and doubly-so for you w/ the expert women f-up)- it was my most fun race this year!

Did you notice that Downieville is the weekend after Mammoth? There's a double-header for you...

 
At 4:41 PM, April 14, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

aw man....thats also the same weekend as Masters Districts

crappo

 
At 5:15 PM, April 14, 2006, Blogger Reed Maxwell said...

well, they are actually not that far apart... do the RR on Saturday and the DV XC Sunday (that's the only REAL race at DV anyway- no wimping on that climb). F-that crit, I mean is your boyfriend the District Champ or something?

 
At 9:34 PM, April 14, 2006, Blogger Velo Bella said...

And I think he's sexy in that SKINsuit

 
At 2:25 PM, April 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well they've definitely got both dirt *and* beer at Firestone!

Glad to hear you're comin' to play in my backyard. See ya there for sure. You can crush me in the flats, of which there are a surprising number for a mountain bike race. Errrgh.

jen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>